FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Brake Servo question

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Once vacuum has been determined to be present at the booster David tell us what you'd do next to avoid replacing the booster. If vacuum is present it is the booster. I said I wouldn't post on this until the vacuum supply is checked but you keep sucking me in. Now I'm done so you can have the last word. This isn't really crossfire as much as a pointless debate.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    My apologies to Ovelandman getting caught in the crossfire between me and Rob. We seem to have differing opinions on what the ultimate problem is, Rob is assuming the booster is bad and I am assuming there is a plumbing problem causing a loss of vacuum. When troubleshooting you (anyone) always seem to have a guess as to what the ultimate problem is and you use that bias when trying to figure out what is wrong. Sometimes it can cause you to go down the wrong track. I was trying to avoid replacing the booster just because it is a pain to do although it may turn out that is what is necessary.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Once vacuum has been determined to be present at the booster David tell us what you'd do next to avoid replacing the booster. If vacuum is present it is the booster. I said I wouldn't post on this until the vacuum supply is checked but you keep sucking me in. Now I'm done so you can have the last word. This isn't really crossfire as much as a pointless debate.
    If vacuum is present at the booster AND if the check valve is not stuck closed the chances are very high that the booster is bad. The only other possibility (and I admit it is a long shot but I have seen it) is that both calipers on either the front or the rear axle are stuck. As for the booster, there is a place that repairs them. Look up
    boosterdeweyexchange.com 503-238-8882

I have not used them for a Delorean booster but they have helped me with other makes. DMC also had a kit to repair the booster (or servo as it is called in the parts manual) under part # 109038. I don't know if anyone has any. Worth checking around if you want to try fixing it yourself. Again, start with the simple stuff and verify vacuum at the booster. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I hope we are both right.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5482

... I can't wait to see how this turns out. I hope we are both right.
    I hope that's not true for my sake

I'm hoping a vacuum line has been dislodged or something super easy.
    Jeff

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Damn it David you drew me in again! I have about 100 of these kits in stock but they probably wouldn't solve a leaky booster as it is only a rod bellows and seal kit. I got a bunch of them every time I bought a dealer inventory. I can supply as many as you want for $25- a kit if someone wants to give it a try.
    I would think that the issue would be with the inner diaphragm and not the rod seal. Not having ever rebuilt one I can't say for sure. You need special tools to disassemble them and that combined with a low failure rate, and high liability from a safety standpoint, make them one of the few parts of this car I have never attempted to rebuild.
    Rob

If vacuum is present at the booster AND if the check valve is not stuck closed the chances are very high that the booster is bad. The only other possibility (and I admit it is a long shot but I have seen it) is that both calipers on either the front or the rear axle are stuck. As for the booster, there is a place that repairs them. Look up
    boosterdeweyexchange.com 503-238-8882

I have not used them for a Delorean booster but they have helped me with other makes. DMC also had a kit to repair the booster (or servo as it is called in the parts manual) under part # 109038. I don't know if anyone has any. Worth checking around if you want to try fixing it yourself. Again, start with the simple stuff and verify vacuum at the booster. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I hope we are both right.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Damn it David you drew me in again! I have about 100 of these kits in stock but they probably wouldn't solve a leaky booster as it is only a rod bellows and seal kit. I got a bunch of them every time I bought a dealer inventory. I can supply as many as you want for $25- a kit if someone wants to give it a try.
    I would think that the issue would be with the inner diaphragm and not the rod seal. Not having ever rebuilt one I can't say for sure. You need special tools to disassemble them and that combined with a low failure rate, and high liability from a safety standpoint, make them one of the few parts of this car I have never attempted to rebuild.
    Rob
    Maybe you can sell them to Booster Dewey? Let him do it and take the liability? I know boosters can be rebuilt, I have had several done over the years. I understand the kit doesn't have the main diaphragm but maybe you don't need it? And if you do I am sure Booster Dewey could match something up. We are getting ahead of ourselves here again, we are waiting to find out if there is vacuum on the booster.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

OE replacement boosters are readily available, although not particularly inexpensive. Used ones are as well, as the failure rate is overall, as Rob mentioned, pretty low.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    11789

I wonder how that all turned out?

I have the same problem - initially I had absolutely NO vacuum at the servo .. there was no vac tank in the car either !!!

Anyways ... if anybody wants to check the vacuum plumbing route on a Delorean I posted a thread here ....

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17...o-Vacuum-Route
    Last edited by SpudMurphy; 03-04-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

An old thread. My guess it it was something really simple (stupid) and the OP never closed the thread. Very often we assume the worst, most complicated things when it almost always turns out to be the simplest things. Like maybe the hose got squeezed or kinked. Out of plain courtesy it would be nice to hear how these do turn out. Maybe he just sold the car?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11789

An old thread. My guess it it was something really simple (stupid) and the OP never closed the thread. Very often we assume the worst, most complicated things when it almost always turns out to be the simplest things. Like maybe the hose got squeezed or kinked. Out of plain courtesy it would be nice to hear how these do turn out. Maybe he just sold the car?
    I used to post a lot on a guitar forum and always went back to my thread and described the outcome. People come back to me years later saying how much it helped.

You may be right Dave, insofar as he may have sold the car - it's ironic that I have the same problem - but I know that vacuum is getting there.
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

If you have vacuum at the booster the check valve *could* be stuck. If you are getting vacuum into the booster and it doesn't work, the booster must be rebuilt or replaced. Measure the vacuum at the motor and at the booster. Should be the same. If not, you have a leak. The vac tank is for the A/C, not the booster.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3