FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turn Signals

Turn Signals

Good evening Delorean community. Quick question for everyone, my turn signals stopped working tonight. When i pulled over, they started working again but flickered out. i can't get them to work again and i have also noticed that my hazards don't turn on. is this a simple fuse burn out, if so which one? All of my other interior and exterior lights work great. Any thougths? is there something else i should be looking at?

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker77 View Post
    Good evening Delorean community. Quick question for everyone, my turn signals stopped working tonight. When i pulled over, they started working again but flickered out. i can't get them to work again and i have also noticed that my hazards don't turn on. is this a simple fuse burn out, if so which one? All of my other interior and exterior lights work great. Any thougths? is there something else i should be looking at?
    This happened to me a couple of years ago. In Manhattan, I used my hazards for long periods of time. When I then took off down the block and threw my turn signal on, it clicked 3 or 4 times and then died. I had to let the car rest (or really the hazard/signal relay under the dash) before it worked again. When I took it to Rob Grady later in the week, we left the hazards on for a few minutes and alas, the hazard/turn relay burned out totally. We replaced it and bingo. He said it was rare the relay burned out like this, but I guess I'm not the only one! Replace that and you should be good to go.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Good evening Delorean community. Quick question for everyone, my turn signals stopped working tonight. When i pulled over, they started working again but flickered out. i can't get them to work again and i have also noticed that my hazards don't turn on. is this a simple fuse burn out, if so which one? All of my other interior and exterior lights work great.
    Two related paths to chase:

1. Hazards/turn signals run off of Fuse #4. Bad fuse or intermittent connection. If fuse is not blown then clean the spades on it and try the hazards/signals again. If fuse is blown you may need to track the cause since new fuse may also blow.

2. As noted in post above: Failed hazard/signal relay or connection to that relay. It is a traditional "blinker switch" that blinks the lamps and makes the hazard/turn noise you normally hear. It is located on a 3-prong connector under the instrument binnacle to left of the steering column. Also possible, but less likely, that the hazard/signal relay has a bad/intermittent ground.

PS, for reference you can check the fuse box cover or owners manual for fuse circuit ID info. Fuse info also shown in the wiring diagram out of this forum's Resources section, which is also available from DMCH as a laminated full-size print.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks Rich

Thanks Rich, can i reach the blinker switch without removing the binnacle?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Two related paths to chase:

1. Hazards/turn signals run off of Fuse #4. Bad fuse or intermittent connection. If fuse is not blown then clean the spades on it and try the hazards/signals again. If fuse is blown you may need to track the cause since new fuse may also blow.

2. As noted in post above: Failed hazard/signal relay or connection to that relay. It is a traditional "blinker switch" that blinks the lamps and makes the hazard/turn noise you normally hear. It is located on a 3-prong connector under the instrument binnacle to left of the steering column. Also possible, but less likely, that the hazard/signal relay has a bad/intermittent ground.

PS, for reference you can check the fuse box cover or owners manual for fuse circuit ID info. Fuse info also shown in the wiring diagram out of this forum's Resources section, which is also available from DMCH as a laminated full-size print.

My VIN:    6679

Sure can - reach up inside the left hand side and feel about until you find something that resembles a relay. Get a good grip and pull it out.

From memory it was harder to manoeuvre the new one in than to pull the old one out.
    Chris

My VIN:    3937

If a visual helps you, it is here, on this bracket/plate:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post152175

It is supposed to be clipped into the side of the pedals assembly (as Chris mentioned in reaching up on the left side of the footwell) but is also often found hanging down on many cars.

The relay is #14 in this parts diagram:

http://store.delorean.com/c-283-3-6-...-switches.aspx

Perhaps be a bit cautious when pulling the relay out as I have heard other owners mentioning the receptacle can get brittle over time and crumble if forced in or out.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Perhaps be a bit cautious when pulling the relay out as I have heard other owners mentioning the receptacle can get brittle over time and crumble if forced in or out.
    TRUE. It's better to remove the paper vent tube so you can see the flasher, then use a screwdriver to carefully wedge it out. If you just yank on it the socket will typically fall apart, and it's a weird one to find.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Slightly o/t but can you get a replacement signal relay with a louder click?

Mine works fine but it is so quiet, and with my height and the position I like the steering wheel in it's not obvious that the dash signal light is flashing unless I periodically stoop down.

We have a lot of mini roundabouts where I live and often you need to indicate but don't actually turn the wheel enough to automatically cancel the indicators.

Sorry for going o/t

James

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post

Mine works fine but it is so quiet, and with my height and the position I like the steering wheel in it's not obvious that the dash signal light is flashing unless I periodically stoop down.

We have a lot of mini roundabouts where I live and often you need to indicate but don't actually turn the wheel enough to automatically cancel the indicators.

Sorry for going o/t

James
    Interesting... had never given this much thought.

Is it the relay itself that makes the click sound?

If a louder relay can't be found, relocating the relay to somewhere less sound deadened might let you hear it better. Up and under the driver's footwell and clamped into the pedal assembly is a lot of material for the sound to travel through. You could experiment a little by letting that bracket hang down (where most of them are anyway it seems) and see if it got loud enough doing that. Or maybe leave it where it is and remove the wrap that goes around the steering column. That might let more sound through. Just some ideas anyway...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post

Sorry for going o/t

James
    I guess it depends on your hearing perception. I have an electronic unit that works with LED's. It has a very noticeable click. But I can't really say if it's substantially louder than the oem it replaced. But I did choose to get the electronic version with the click sound on purpose because it can be difficult for me to see the indicators.

The unit is a TRIDON EP-35. Not sure if it's available in the UK.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast