FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does the DIN Radio faceplate have the same finish as the original?

My VIN:    06369

Does the DIN Radio faceplate have the same finish as the original?

Hey guys,
    Forgive me if this is listed anywhere, but I searched and couldn't find it. My car is still at DMCFL, but I'm stockpiling parts to do a stereo replacement for when I get it shipped up in a few weeks. Since I plan on driving this every day for my 45-60 minute commute each way, I need a stereo with XM and Bluetooth and I found a DIN radio that suits my needs. I've found a DIN faceplate as a replacement, but I was wondering if it has the same finish as the original? Looking at online photos, it appears as if the original has a leathery finish, but I can't tell if the DIN replacements are just a smooth black finish or have that leathery texture. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Derek

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jedidentist View Post
    Hey guys,
    Forgive me if this is listed anywhere, but I searched and couldn't find it. My car is still at DMCFL, but I'm stockpiling parts to do a stereo replacement for when I get it shipped up in a few weeks. Since I plan on driving this every day for my 45-60 minute commute each way, I need a stereo with XM and Bluetooth and I found a DIN radio that suits my needs. I've found a DIN faceplate as a replacement, but I was wondering if it has the same finish as the original? Looking at online photos, it appears as if the original has a leathery finish, but I can't tell if the DIN replacements are just a smooth black finish or have that leathery texture. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Derek
    Depends on who made it but generally the finish on the aftermarket ones is more like a flat paint. You really don't see very much of it once installed.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Depends on who made it but generally the finish on the aftermarket ones is more like a flat paint. You really don't see very much of it once installed.
    Thanks for the info. It's from a DMC authorized service center, so I'm assuming they all come from the same source, but maybe not. Hmm...decisions, decisions...

My VIN:    3937

I thought I had a side-by-side photo of the two brackets, but I guess I don't.

Here's the two brackets, original on workbench and DIN during install.

I wouldn't have thought of either one as having a leathery finish. Keep in mind, with either bracket, very little of it is left exposed in view once all the components and covers are reinstalled.

IMG_3366.jpgIMG_3407.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

The DMCH radio console is flat black whereas the original one is a textured black. This type of finish has a specific name I believe but it's been so long since I've heard it that I forgot what it was(no it's not Hammertone which I happen to like however). Could one of "The Davids" or another grizzled veteran help me on that? It's true however that little of this finish is exposed when installed so it only bothers the more anal among us. We know who we are!
    Rob

My VIN:    03572

The original does have a textured "vinyl" overlay on the front side.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

That's not the word I was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The original does have a textured "vinyl" overlay on the front side.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

Wrinkle Paint?, like on an old typewriter?

Duh "wrinkle finish" was the word I was looking for but it's a modified wrinkle finish or as Dave pointed out "textured vinyl. There are no losers here unlike some unfortunate hood flap threads!

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Wrinkle Paint?, like on an old typewriter?

Well, I'm one of those "anal" guys that would care enough that the difference would bother me...even though it would mean hacking up an original. However, there are enough cars being parted out that I'm not going to feel too bad about it. I'll keep my original and get someone else's spare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast