FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nube looking for advice

My VIN:    2706

Nube looking for advice

Hey guys,

My name is Jimmy and I am new here lol. I am sure this has been discussed a million times, but looking for some advice. I am in the early stages of researching and purchasing a deLorean. I have always been a gear head and currently have a fully restored 70 c-10 that I am going to end up selling to purchase a DeLorean. I am just curious though, has anybody actually purchased through one of the DeLorean(New) dealerships? I know the prices are high, but I like the idea that they sort out a lot of the common problems before purchase. Just looking for some thoughts on this. I have purchased the "illustrated guide to buying a DeLorean", and have been doing a lot of research myself, but it seams I cant really find any info or thoughts from people who have bought from them. The only thing I have really settled on is that I want a 5speed. Sucks because I live up here in NY, and I see a nice looking car just went up for sale that is an auto. I am going to be down in Alabama for work this summer, and I plan on driving to the DMC in Florida just to check it out. I rode in a DeLorean when I was a kid, but not as an adult lol...I am 6' tall but judging from DeLorean himself being what.....6'4"? that shouldn't be a problem. Anyways any thoughts or help would be gratefully appreciated.
    image.jpg

My VIN:    TBA@LaterDate

Cool

Good luck with your search. Don't settle for an automatic if that's not what you want. A friend of mine is over 6 feet tall and he fits no problem.

My VIN:    3937

Welcome Jimmy.

First thing, find a car local to you (or on your travels) and sit in it (or drive it) to make sure you fit. 6' tall is likely fine, but it depends on whether your height is in the legs or in your upper body. I'm 6'3" tall and fit fine, but I know others who are shorter than I am and they don't fit well.

Going to DMCFL is a good idea. So too would you going to see Rob at PJ Grady's. He's in NYS too. Seeing a bunch of cars all lined up (for sale or otherwise) will give you some good insight to the varying condition of these cars.

You mentioned being a gear head and restoring vehicles already. A big factor on whether people enjoy owning these cars is whether they can do some/most of the work themselves. You sound like someone able to do most of the work yourself? That's good as the cars will have issues over time. What you get from a vendor sold car is one that has most of the issues sorted out. Not all the issues necessarily because they also have cars that aren't quite finished yet and you can buy those too.

Good for you to begin researching and learning about the cars before buying one. That's important. If a new owner dives right in by buying a car that has issues, it can be overwhelming and hurt your chances of enjoying the experience. For those people, I would suggest the vendor route. As with any of the cars you might buy, find the car that is in the best condition for the money you have to spend.

If you have a budget, spend the higher percentage upfront on a car you know (through research and asking the right questions to the right people) to be in good shape and not the surprise car that's got a lower purchase price because you'll end up putting more money and heartache into it in the long run. Aim for a car that was stored well over the years and not one with pine needles in the engine bay or rusty brackets and fittings all over or just generally in a state of disrepair.

Reading James' book is good. Car season is just about here. I'd suggest you go look at the auto car you mentioned near you and at least chat with the owner and get a feel for what the cars are all about. You don't have to buy the auto, or the first one you see regardless, but seeing it or others at a local tech day in your area will help fill in the blanks.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Awesome,

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I have always done my own work. I find that I am a perfectionist and am never quite happy with other peoples work. My truck is my baby and I built her myself(except for the paint job). It will be hard to let her go so I am definitely taking my time and doing a lot of research before I decide to sell her and get a Delorean. I have had a lot of fun with the truck, but have loved Deloreans since I was a kid. I just did an LS swap in my truck and will probably just enjoy the truck this summer, but I have just become bored with it. It's time for a change. I am going to visit DMC florida this summer, because I will be in Alabama for work and that trip will probably have a big impact on my decision. I am guessing I am going to get super excited like a little kid and that is gong to seal the deal lol. I rode in one when I was a teenager but haven't been near one since. I really just want to make sure I fit in it comfortably. My Chevys cab is a little small and I fit in that fine, so i don't expect any issues.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Welcome.

If you are capable enough to be doing engine swaps etc, then I would suggest that perhaps you DON'T spend the majority upfront. Our cars are now ~35 years old and the fuel systems in particular are starting to really show their age. O-rings, rubber, plastic, injectors, etc... are all wearing out and the K-jet system, while reliable when in good shape, can be very challenging to diagnose and then fix. Many end up chasing one problem then the next, then the next.....

As a suggestion, look/ask/search for a solid frame, suspension and interior car that may be in need of some fuel/ignition work. With today's EFI capabilities, many of us have made the conversion and are enjoying the reliability. Even the vendors are migrating that way as they realize the limitations of K-jet for boosted cars. Parts for K-jet are getting harder to find and more expensive all the time. Do your homework by searching these threads and you will see great progress is being made by individual vendors on making virtually plug and play EFI. It will get there. IMHO, much of the expense of a "vendor car" is in fixing up the fuel system. Face it, brakes, steering, bushings, etc are all pretty straightforward for any shade tree mechanic. The specifics of a car's ignition and fueling are the time and money consumers. You may very well find that your willingness to embrace the newer technology will allow you to buy someone else's K-jet abandonment at a very good price.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    2347

I am 6'2" and I fit fine. I am a new owner of a DeLorean and let me tell you, it's a lot of fun. You have to be a people person, though, if you own a DeLorean. Everyone will come up and talk to you and ask questions. Expect your short trips to the gas station to take 15-30 minutes. That being said, DeLoreans were not perfect off the assembly line so you will tinker with it from time to time. Just do your research and don't be in a hurry to buy one. DeLoreans are the kind of car that everybody likes, but not a lot of people want to buy. So even though they are rare and unique, there are still a fair amount for sale. You can buy a really nice car for $30,000, but like any car you can buy junk for $30,000. Documentation is your friend! Parts are available, but there are only a handful of vendors and your major parts you will have to get from DMC.

That being said, I say go for it! They really are a fun car that not many have. You are sure to bring joy to everyone who sees it.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'd suggest you go look at the auto car you mentioned near you and at least chat with the owner and get a feel for what the cars are all about. You don't have to buy the auto, or the first one you see regardless, but seeing it or others at a local tech day in your area will help fill in the blanks.

+1

Rich I will definitely take you up on that, I would love to drive out next month if you still have the car and just talk deloreans if you are cool with that. Thanks for the continued input guys!

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    Rich I will definitely take you up on that, I would love to drive out next month if you still have the car and just talk deloreans if you are cool with that. Thanks for the continued input guys!
    Absolutely, I think it's your best bet to become most familiar with what you're looking for.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Hi Jimmy,

Where are you in New York? We are in Long Island and have cars in a range of prices and conditions for you to consider. We are the only original factory authorized Delorean dealer still in existence. I've been working on these cares since day one and can give you all the in's and out's of owning a Delorean. There is no need to drive all the way to Florida to check things out unless you just enjoy long drives.
    Rob Grady (800)350-7429

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    Hey guys,

My name is Jimmy and I am new here lol. I am sure this has been discussed a million times, but looking for some advice. I am in the early stages of researching and purchasing a deLorean. I have always been a gear head and currently have a fully restored 70 c-10 that I am going to end up selling to purchase a DeLorean. I am just curious though, has anybody actually purchased through one of the DeLorean(New) dealerships? I know the prices are high, but I like the idea that they sort out a lot of the common problems before purchase. Just looking for some thoughts on this. I have purchased the "illustrated guide to buying a DeLorean", and have been doing a lot of research myself, but it seams I cant really find any info or thoughts from people who have bought from them. The only thing I have really settled on is that I want a 5speed. Sucks because I live up here in NY, and I see a nice looking car just went up for sale that is an auto. I am going to be down in Alabama for work this summer, and I plan on driving to the DMC in Florida just to check it out. I rode in a DeLorean when I was a kid, but not as an adult lol...I am 6' tall but judging from DeLorean himself being what.....6'4"? that shouldn't be a problem. Anyways any thoughts or help would be gratefully appreciated.
    image.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast