FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission Flange Oil Leak From Split Pin

My VIN:    10091

Club(s):   (DCH)

Transmission Flange Oil Leak From Split Pin

After car sat for most of the winter, I noticed an oil leak. After investigation, it is coming from transmission right flange split pin. Has anyone had this problem or have advice for how to correct. I have attached two pics to show seals are dry and clean. Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

It is highly unusual for a leak from the pin area unless an incorrect oring has been fitted. That is a problem common to Lotus Esprit UN1's but not the DMC UN1 due to a different axle configution. I notice that an aftermarket oil seal has been fitted. Are you positive about the seal not leaking? We carry OEM seals and stainless sleeved axle flanges if you need them.
    Rob

QUOTE=yianni;168599]After car sat for most of the winter, I noticed an oil leak. After investigation, it is coming from transmission right flange split pin. Has anyone had this problem or have advice for how to correct. I have attached two pics to show seals are dry and clean. Thanks in advance for any responses.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    It is highly unusual for a leak from the pin area unless an incorrect oring has been fitted. That is a problem common to Lotus Esprit UN1's but not the DMC UN1 due to a different axle configution. I notice that an aftermarket oil seal has been fitted. Are you positive about the seal not leaking? We carry OEM seals and stainless sleeved axle flanges if you need them.
    Rob

QUOTE=yianni;168599]After car sat for most of the winter, I noticed an oil leak. After investigation, it is coming from transmission right flange split pin. Has anyone had this problem or have advice for how to correct. I have attached two pics to show seals are dry and clean. Thanks in advance for any responses.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. Leak is definitely not from seal. I wiped it a couple of times and watched it drip from inside the split pin. Seal and stainless sleeves were purchased from DMC. What puzzles me is the amount of transmission oil that has leaked out. I would estimate about 1/3 a cup. Any other ideas out there? Thanks.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Thanks for the response. Leak is definitely not from seal. I wiped it a couple of times and watched it drip from inside the split pin. Seal and stainless sleeves were purchased from DMC. What puzzles me is the amount of transmission oil that has leaked out. I would estimate about 1/3 a cup. Any other ideas out there? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

As Rob said, typically the seal leaks, not the pin. What you *could* do is what they do on the Lotus, silicone the pin. Try replacing the "O" ring first.When you are done make sure you have enough and the correct oil in the transmission.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Thanks for the response. Leak is definitely not from seal. I wiped it a couple of times and watched it drip from inside the split pin. Seal and stainless sleeves were purchased from DMC. What puzzles me is the amount of transmission oil that has leaked out. I would estimate about 1/3 a cup. Any other ideas out there? Thanks.
    As Rob said, typically the seal leaks, not the pin. What you *could* do is what they do on the Lotus, silicone the pin. Try replacing the "O" ring first.When you are done make sure you have enough and the correct oil in the transmission.[/QUOTE]

If it doesn't leak out the pin, it will still leak past the splines (as it already has) and into the axle flange. The pin is just the first place in line for the fluid to leak out, but not the last. If you're going to silicone the pin, you would also need to remove the half shaft and silicone the splines at the end to have any real effect. It's messy, bad practice, and will certainly not fix the problem, but it may be a stall. However, for all that trouble you should just change the o-ring.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I agree - I suspect that the o-ring is chipped or damaged in some way. If the seal or sleeve was bad it would leak from the seal. My bet is when you remove the axle the void between the axle and flange will be oily. It should be dry.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Silicone on the pin will force it into the area between the hub flange and axle. O ring is the only solution.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Thank you everyone for all the good advice, O ring will be changed.

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

As an aside to this, I replaced my leaky seals last summer and observed the same behaviour. I replaced the O-Ring at the same time as doing the seals though, and it's still leaking past. I've been intending to pull it and investigate, but now someone else is experiencing it the exact same I wonder if there is an issue with the NOS O-rings?

For replacing the O-rings I lubricated them with some fresh gearbox oil before fitting. Is there some other trick required?

My VIN:    03572

I remember a trick that was done back in the old days to get better seals on shafts. That was to put a diagonal finish on the shaft where the seal sits with some fine sand paper. That minor scratching would keep any oil from getting through the seal.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast