FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Transmission Flange Oil Leak From Split Pin

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I remember a trick that was done back in the old days to get better seals on shafts. That was to put a diagonal finish on the shaft where the seal sits with some fine sand paper. That minor scratching would keep any oil from getting through the seal.
    I've seen that also. You have to take in account the direction of rotation or you will be pumping the oil past the seal.

My VIN:    05257

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Biggest thing - be careful which direction the pin is going when you drive it back out. It's really annoying when you punch it out of the flange and into the side of the case, and then can't rotate the flange to keep it going or get it back in.

Then pull the flange off, and reach in with a pick tool to remove the o-ring. If the o-ring has split it may fall into the trans, so go slowly.
    Thanks Dave, did as you instructed. The 3,5mm thick O-Ring which I retrieved had some old white silicone on it. So I have installed new 3,5mm thick O-Ring and put black silicone on it. No leak for 10 days so far!

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Thanks Dave, did as you instructed. The 3,5mm thick O-Ring which I retrieved had some old white silicone on it. So I have installed new 3,5mm thick O-Ring and put black silicone on it. No leak for 10 days so far!
    I have my axles and flanges out right now myself. Where did you put the black silicone? I'm confused.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    05257

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I have my axles and flanges out right now myself. Where did you put the black silicone? I'm confused.
    I am sorry, looks like I missed your question...
    I just put silikon on the inner O ring and pushed the Flange in.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5