FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Curious, Top Auto Speed?

Curious, Top Auto Speed?

I know most of us throw around numbers from 120 MPH to 140 MPH when asking for top speed. That being said, most of us have 5-speeds. From memory, when I was able to push my D to the limit on the turnpike, I got to 105 MPH (according to GPS anyways) and had room for at most 5 MPH more, but that was on a downhill slope. Then again, it was also with my notoriously-huge (and I'm sure drag-inducing) BTTF vents on, so that may have played a factor. Anyways, with two additional speeds, I'd imagine the engine has an easier time pushing the wheels faster, so a thought crossed my mind:

What's the top speed of a stock DeLorean automatic?

Manual top speed is well documented, but I haven't heard anyone doing field testing of an automatic to see what its inherent limits are. I know mine's not stock (or I'd test it out myself), but would like a reference point next time I get the "how fast is it?" question when filling up, which happened as recently as last week.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

I've reached 106mph also recorded with a GPS so we have one constant in this test. It was on a flat highway on a day with a slight breeze. The car felt like it could go faster but I lost my nerve and backed off
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I believe the land speed record in a auto DeLorean is held by DrHaney after picking his car up in Ohio and blitzing for Denver. Pretty sure it wouldn't rev any further.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    I believe the land speed record in a auto DeLorean is held by DrHaney after picking his car up in Ohio and blitzing for Denver. Pretty sure it wouldn't rev any further.
    And that would be...? C'mon man, don't forget the numbers!

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I need to ask! When I know I will let you know!
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    I need to ask! When I know I will let you know!
    No worries! Just hasslin' you

My VIN:    3997

I got mine up to 120/130 region heading into Vegas. Although I have a Stage II
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    4519

VIN 10372, stock automatic: 87 MPH 1/4 mile at Kil-Karre dragway near DCS 2014.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 03-23-2015 at 09:09 PM.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

The following may have been a dream, all be it quite vivid ... (any traffic police on these forums?)

About 8yrs ago I got to 114 on my Tom Tom satnav, at that point my car was 100% stock (with cat etc...) auto.

It was on a very flat surface about 2am cool spring morning (I'm in the UK)

I think it had probably reached the limit, it may have crept higher if I had many miles of clear flat road ahead but I didn't lol.

It was one of those rare occasions, a driver's dream, 4 lane motorway, clear moonlit night, and not another road user in site, lovely.

I'm really not a fast driver, it was just an opportunity in the early days of ownership where I decided to throw caution to the wind.

J

I can say that I have a 5 speed and have had my car maxed out at 135mph. Still felt like there was some leg room in the transmission to go faster though!
    I do have to say that I was going pretty fast one night and an unmarked officer flashed his lights at me and boy did I slow down after that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast