FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Curious, Top Auto Speed?

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Why would a DeLorean need to go faster then 88 mph anyway?
    Sorry, but I've never seen the need to drive my D faster then the speed limit...

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    #10719 JAN 82, Grey Interior.

Club(s):  

Very true George. In saying that the car does seem to like a long straight Road and being taken a little over 88mph. Mind you, as i said before especially in this country going 88mph is a risky business. As i often say to the usual question of "what happens when you go over 88mph?" - you see flashing blue lights in your rear view mirror and receive a speeding ticket from a smug police officer. "Trying to go back in time Sir. ......

Not about need (frankly the 105 MPH I went was just for curiosity's sake), it's more or less to have a number to throw out when someone asks how fast it is as a setup for calling it "slow and heavy"

My VIN:    #10719 JAN 82, Grey Interior.

Club(s):  

Good point, although people always seem to ask about its acceleration rather than top speed. The nought to sixty time and all that. Then they compare it to a modern saloon. Always annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by flux3d View Post
    Good point, although people always seem to ask about its acceleration rather than top speed. The nought to sixty time and all that. Then they compare it to a modern saloon. Always annoys me.
    Hence me taking the "top speed" route instead for the same exact reason too. For me, the common question has been "how fast is it?" rather than specifically aiming for either way. If they ask about acceleration after I give them top speed, I just say something along the lines of "not sure". It's not like they're going to track me down after they Google it, so they're none the wiser.

My VIN:    16893

I've got a bone stock 83 with 12,000 miles on it and an auto transmission. I've had mine up to about 100, with plenty of tach/RPMs left to go. If you can think of a good place I can reach the top speed without going to jail I'll give it a shot To me it felt like 120 would be a piece of cake. I'd guess the top speed is between 130-140 for an auto. The auto takes off slow as heck, but it is SO highway geared it's not even funny. It runs pretty low RPMs at high speeds on the highway.

130 to 140 ? LOL

no way.
    5 speed goes 200 kph (124mph), downhill I had it over 220kph, but - downhill.

I expect the auto in the range of 190 kph (118mph).

I'll ask in our german forum, I hope I'm not the only one knowing how
    max speed feels in this car :-D

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    130 to 140 ? LOL

no way.
    5 speed goes 200 kph (124mph), downhill I had it over 220kph, but - downhill.

I expect the auto in the range of 190 kph (118mph).

I'll ask in our german forum, I hope I'm not the only one knowing how
    max speed feels in this car :-D
    This sounds pretty right. 2638, a stick CAN manage 125 on flat ground, but the 115-125 range feels like it takes forever. I doubt a stock auto is going to crack 120 on the flats. Run either car down a long 3% grade, I bet you could touch 140.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3