FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Curious, Top Auto Speed?

My VIN:    15275

I have had mine to around 125 or so and it had a little bit more to go. .i also have joshs cams and the uk exhaust though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    I got mine up to 120/130 region heading into Vegas. Although I have a Stage II
    Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    I have had mine to around 125 or so and it had a little bit more to go. .i also have joshs cams and the uk exhaust though...
    Just to confirm, both of you have automatics? I seem to recall my RPM's at around 3K to 4K in third gear, definitely short of redline, but there seemed to be some kind of mechanical limitation that prevented it from going any faster, hence me asking.

(For what it's worth, I have the DPI cams and SPEC I exhaust also)

My VIN:    15275

ooppss..

sorry mine is a five speed..

So it seems the consensus is 115 MPH for a confirmed automatic. Anyone ever go faster than that? Not to far off of my "120 MPH" figure actually

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Just to confirm, both of you have automatics? I seem to recall my RPM's at around 3K to 4K in third gear, definitely short of redline, but there seemed to be some kind of mechanical limitation that prevented it from going any faster, hence me asking.

(For what it's worth, I have the DPI cams and SPEC I exhaust also)
    Yes. Mine is an Automatic. And from what I recall, it was in the 4,000 RPM area. But the needles are so bouncy and wobbly at high speed it was hard to tell.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Last year during a closed highway road rally at the Celebration Exotic Car Show I got to 125. The car felt fine but, I realized I was driving a 30 year old car. Even though it is 2007 DMC rebuild the "NOS" parts are 30 years old. I was concentrating on driving and didn't look at the RPM's when I decided to let off the gas I checked the GPS app on my iPhone and the Speedometer. By the way they were within 3 or 4 MPH of each other.

I have a Stage II 5 speed.

I'm going to Celebration again this year and doing the road rally BUT won't do it again. All those parts are now 31 years old
    Last edited by Lenny; 04-01-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

Nice story, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I have a Stage II 5 speed
    That doesn't count. I'm looking for Top "Auto" Speed, not Top "DeLorean" Speed. Top DeLorean speed is very well documented, but I have yet to find anyone doing this on an automatic.

I'm really lost on why there's so much confusion over this to be perfectly honest, considering the three different ways I mentioned "Auto". Am I missing something here?

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Nice story, but...
    That doesn't count. I'm looking for Top "Auto" Speed, not Top "DeLorean" Speed. Top DeLorean speed is very well documented, but I have yet to find anyone doing this on an automatic.

I'm really lost on why there's so much confusion over this to be perfectly honest, considering the three different ways I mentioned "Auto". Am I missing something here?
    I read that as auto = car not auto = automatic transmission

that's my excuse
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    #10719 JAN 82, Grey Interior.

Club(s):  

I've had my five speed up to 100 without any problems. That's saying something in this country with all our speed cameras, traffic jams and traffic cops just waiting for a speeding Delorean. Mind you even then it seemed like it had loads more in it. Are the autos so different? Can the "theoretical " top speed be calculated from the gear ratio of the auto box?

Quote Originally Posted by flux3d View Post
    Can the "theoretical " top speed be calculated from the gear ratio of the auto box?
    Probably. My question more or less is can the engine manage to push an auto transmission to redline without any issues. If it can, then the theoretical is the actual. If it can't however, then by far the easiest way is to know from real world experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast