FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Early VIN AC help

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Early VIN AC help

Well I fixed my AC about a year ago or so, it has the old style accumulator without the cross-over pipe. At that time I replaced it with a correct original unit, and also replaced the orifice tube as it was clogged with some black hose gook and was causing poor AC performance. Well, I lost freon again (I think the O-ring didn't seat well on the AC accumulator) so I need to replace the accumulator again as it sat all winter probably without freon and I'm sure the accumulator is no good anymore.

So Harvey is apparently out of the early VIN units seen here- http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...INAL_SETUP.jpg

So. Anyone know anywhere else I can get one, or does this mean I need to update my lines & Etc? What do I need to buy here for 2638 to get the AC back up and running. I was not looking forward to replacing the AC lines, but if I have to I have to?
    Still rocking the Ducellier

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

DMCH makes an adapter so a later style accumulator can fit on an early VIN car.

You're fine!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

DeLorean Driver

http://store.delorean.com/c-303-7-2-...ve-system.aspx

So what part? #29 clearly isn't right for mine, where do you find the adapter? If it this??--

http://store.delorean.com/p-7725-adapter-condenser.aspx

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Nice to know that the adapter is available for the early style setup. However, the hoses are 34 years old and not getting any younger. If you find yourself needing to add refrigerant on a yearly basis, you should consider a full hose kit especially if you are running R134a in the original non barrier hoses.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    http://store.delorean.com/c-303-7-2-...ve-system.aspx

So what part? #29 clearly isn't right for mine, where do you find the adapter? If it this??--

http://store.delorean.com/p-7725-adapter-condenser.aspx
    That is the high pressure switch condenser adapter. You would use it, if you need to replace an early style condenser (NLA) with a late style condenser.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Call your preferred location and ask about it. I can't find it either, but I've installed it and a late vin dryer on two cars so I know it exists.

It essentially allows the hose that would otherwise attach to the bottom of the old dryers to attach to the top of the new dryers
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The only reason you'd need to replace your (assuming original, good condition) lines is if you're planning to run R134.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    The only reason you'd need to replace your (assuming original, good condition) lines is if you're planning to run R134.
    No, if you still have the original lines you need to replace them BECAUSE they are the original 30 year old lines. They were never intended to last this long and if they aren't leaking now they soon will be. One reason they may still hold pressure is that the system has been flat for many of the past 30 odd years. Since they weren't under much stress they still can hold pressure but when you now put pressure into them they blow out because they are old. If the A/C system is flat you just rebuild it putting in new hoses, seals, accumulator, oil, and refrigerant. You may also need a new belt, idler bearings, rebuild the mode switch, clean the evap drain, replace the fan motor, etc. You also need to make sure the engine cooling system is working properly. Do not figure you can go to the auto store, buy a can of -134, squirt it in and enjoy the A/C. Although it may actually work for a while (a short while!) it is not going to work for long and you can cause a lot more work by contaminating the system. As with much in life there are no short-cuts. Use the split-hoses, they are SO much easier to install!
    David Teitelbaum

DeLorean Driver

Well, my orifice tube was partially clogged with a little bit of hose crud, however it was not "very clogged" and the AC still worked - I suspect that the hoses are still OK at least for a few more seasons. I just need new o-rings at this point in the receiver/dryer and I'm probably going to be ok for a couple more years.

I do intend to replace the lines, but right now it's not a project I want to get into. If anyone can find out the info on that adapter I'll buy that and a new dryer, toss it on there, charge it and run it for how ever long it lasts. If I need more work that that I can deal with it as it comes. Eventually I will do a system overhaul, full flush all new hoses and new compressor. Right now, I just want it to work for another summer or 2 maybe.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

That is the point that I was trying - you can get by with the original hoses for the time being. Of course, when you're ready, then replace them. There are many cars still running original hoses but they will not last forever. O-rings all around are cheap and not hard to replace with the system empty.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast