FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Best type/brand of oil for a Twin-Turbo.

My VIN:    3610

Best type/brand of oil for a Twin-Turbo.

Recently, while removing minor rust from the frame, one of the oil hoses for the intercooler that has a very small leak was apparently agitated. Now the oil leak is bad, and the offending hose has been removed for replacement. While draining the oil from the line I noticed it could do with a change.

Admax natural oil with moly was suggested, I would the opinion of everyone here that has experience with the prv if this is a good option. Or if anyone know of a great oil they use themselves.

Stats:
    Twin-turbo w/intercooler.
    Weekend driver in the spring-early fall seasons.
    Western Pennsylvania climate.
    25k miles.
    Oil cost not an issue.
    I want this car to last beyond my lifetime.
    Manual transmission.

Sorry, oil cooler not intercooler. Spellcheck error.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean3610 View Post
    Sorry, oil cooler not intercooler. Spellcheck error.
    Any nationally branded, high quality synthetic oil should be more than adequate. It should be changed annually or every 5,000 miles, oil and air filters too. I would also encourage you to pull the output hoses and check for any sign of oil leaking past the seals when changing oil. Make sure the boost is limited to 5 psi unless you have forged pistons instead of the stock, cast ones. Some say you should use oil high in ZDDP or use additives to increase the ZDDP level. In my experience if you have an older motor that was broken in and used oils high in ZDDP they can handle oil changes with oil having lower levels of ZDDP. Once the camshafts and followers are broken in the amount of wear is so low as to not require a lot of ZDDP. The purpose of using a synthetic oil is that they have a much higher ability to tolerate heat without breaking down and the turbos get VERY HOT! The reason to change it often is, oil is cheap, parts are expensive and even synthetic can break down eventually. I wonder just how necessary an oil cooler is. If it is too effective it may prevent the motor from reaching it's operating temperature. The PRV holds 6 quarts of oil. That's a LOT for a 6 cylinder motor and all of that oil can hold a LOT of thermal energy before it gets too hot. Unless you are operating in the desert you shouldn't really need that oil cooler. The crankcase has fins cast into it and that has a cooling effect too from the air moving under the car, in effect, an oil cooler!
    David Teitelbaum

I can tell you it has never run hot when I've driven it.