FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: 2014 4.3 conversion??

2014 4.3 conversion??

I know engine conversions are a controversial subject but I am doing some research and entertaining the 2014 Chevy 4.3 V6. There have been many 4.3 conversions but the new engine is all aluminum with 290 HP. From what I read, its uses the LS1 platform and we already have the flywheel, transmission adaptor and other part dimensions already done for us. The prices are high right now but I know in 2 years or so I plan on getting a salvage Chevy truck and make it happen. So why not do the LS1? because is just too big, I think this 4.3 would be a better fit. I would like to hear your thoughts..... Dan

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I think the LS1 is perfect.

Your the man! Yes the LS1 is awesome and cheaper right now. I plan on using many of your designs. The pros with the 4.3 are weight, space and a little wiggle room with HP and the UN transmission. I will defiantly need you advice with this. Love your work Nick

My VIN:    6585

Before Geocities went down forever, there was an old blog from the mid 1990's about a guy named Duke that did the 4.3 conversion with one of the old Vortec engines. The bellhousings used to be available from DMC in Garden Grove, but I'm sure you can source them elsewhere. If I remember correctly, his biggest problem outside of regular fabrication was that the inlet and outlet on the Chevy water pump were on opposite sides from the PRV's. So the hoses had to cross over. And then there was Darryl Tinnerstet who did the conversion and also bolted on a supercharger. Of course he had an upgraded input shaft too...

I'm in the same boat as you, though admittedly I'm more of a Ford guy myself. The Coyote is about 2" shorter than the LS1, so it would fit a bit better in the engine bay, though it does require a reversed sump. I understand the concern about length. I'm not keen on the idea of cutting my rear support for the bumper. I want all of that in place in case of a collision. Myself though, I'm just waiting on Ford to release the Control Pack for the 3.5L EcoBoost V6. Short, powerful, and engines are cheap as Ford still refuses to release the Control Pack for this engine publicly. So of course no one is buying them, helping drive the prices down.

If that control pack doesn't come to pass, then the V8 it will be. The best resource I've found for a conversion has been the GT40 kit cars. Same transaxle as ours, so there is some support with getting Ford and Chevy engines mated to it. Just have to beef-up that input shaft is all. Well, aside from the rest of the car also needed to handle the jump in power.

As for engine conversions being a "controversial subject", don't sweat it. It's your car, do what you like. If nothing else, just associate more with the sides of the community that support you. Myself, I went like this: I love my car, and one afternoon saw a guy blast down the road in a late model GTO while I was pumping gas. I did the numbers in my head about what it would cost to buy a car like that so that I'd have something to kick around in, and then it dawned on me: I could just spend that same amount of cash to make my own car go just as fast with an engine swap. No worries about a second car, just build the one I want and be done with it all.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...