FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wideband O2 sensor

My VIN:    03572

Wideband O2 sensor

I did have a post on using the wideband in my DeLorean but I guess it was on the old crashed site.

When you buy a wideband unit it consists of the wideband sensor and an electronic unit to drive the sensor and provide an output. The unit I have is an LC-1.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

You program the LC-1 via a USB to RS-232 cable driver. The LC-1 has two analog outputs so you can program them to simulate what the narrow band sensor outputs (0 to 1 volt). I have one output programmed to output 0.5 volts at 14.7 AFR and the other output to output 0.5 volts at 13.0 AFR. I built a switch to drive one of those outputs into the normal one wire (signal) and ground inputs into the stock lambda ECU.

I also built a little circuit that takes the LC-1 LED fail code output to drive my stock dash LAMBDA light. So when you put the key on, my LAMBDA light will flash for about 15 seconds until the LC-1 has warmed up the sensor and is running closed loop.

The wideband sensor replaces the original narrow band sensor in the same bung. But that wideband sensor has a very large connector on the end of the cable so you can not run the wiring like the OEM setup unless you remove the connector. You can not pull the connector pins so I cut the wires and installed small pins that crimp onto the wires. You cannot solder onto those sensor wires. I think the wires are nickle plated.

I will look for some old photos to help if you want to do the same.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    1776

I can personally vouch for the LC-1. I have one, driving a dashboard A/F gauge (my car has the intake system from a Renault Alpine GTA, and it was invaluable for jetting the carburetors).

The LC-1 is VERY sensitive to ground noise. I found it was flaky until I ran a dedicated grounding wire that connects directly to one of the valve cover bolts, YMMV.
    Last edited by dustybarn; 03-30-2015 at 08:15 PM.

I see Innovate now has an LC-2 but that unit now incorporates an internal LED to show you status. I use that status signal (comes out on the LC-1) for my dash light status.

I could not find the photos I had posted on the old .com forum (late 2009). I must have saved them on my work computer which I don't have access to anymore.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10270

Another LC1 user here since 2008. I've experimented with tweaking K-Jet over the years and it's been very helpful in determining the results of each test.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    06960

I've had dismal luck with my LC-1. Unit works fine for a few weeks then just quits throwing error 8. Went through 4 O2 sensors, countless firmware updates and back revs, and even splurged for their fancy heat sink. Nothing would keep the sensor working for more than a few weeks.

After the second sensor quit I installed Dave's modification to hook up the unit to the Lambda light. Works well, to inform me of impending DOOM for the O2 sensor!

Had been considering getting a different brand of wideband O2, but fool me twice; I saw the new version, LC-2 and bought it. Lots of other people do have good luck with their LC-1s, so I'm going on faith here that I just got a genuinely bunk unit.

I'm going to miss having the diag light readout in the dash since its built in to the unit now. Perhaps I'll build a little circuit to at least light up the LAMBDA when output 2 goes high imp.

This year may finally be the year I finish EFI tuning.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

My LC-2 has been great. I will admit I am on my second one, but I fried the first with a flakely power connection (which was so bad it fried my Megasquirt).

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My LC-1 just uses the power and ground tapped off the lambda ECU wires. I think only one time I saw an error code flash but turning the car off and on again cleared it. I'm still using the same sensor when the unit was first installed. I have stock exhaust.

You must remember not to ever run the engine without the LC-1 powered if your doing any work on your car. With it hard wired like I have it can't be turned off anyway.
    Dave M vin 03572

This is genius.

If I've understood it right, at the flick of a switch, the stock lambda system targets 13:1 AFR as opposed to 14.7:1?

Do you notice a difference in the way it drives?

Quote Originally Posted by Horsebox View Post
    This is genius.

If I've understood it right, at the flick of a switch, the stock lambda system targets 13:1 AFR as opposed to 14.7:1?

Do you notice a difference in the way it drives?
    I'm not an aggressive driver so don't feel much difference. I'm sure a run at the track or dyno would show better performance. You could probably do the same if you put a switch on your wide open throttle switch wires but that is not a closed loop AFR control.

Yes you drive the wideband output into the stock lambda ECU.
    Dave M vin 03572

I lost the photos I took when I did the wideband install. But here are some of the switch I built to select which of the two outputs to drive into the lambda ECU. I guess you could just use a double pole switch to select which output but I used an SPST switch so made the analog driver board.

The first photo is me testing the AFR reading the tailpipe with an LM1 wideband unit. I can get the same reading that way because I have a gutted CAT. The LM1 has more inputs if you want to do on road testing but even the LC1 can output on road testing connected to a lap top.
    Attached Images
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 11-02-2015 at 06:24 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast