FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paris Rhone starter and solenoid rebuild kit?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Paris Rhone starter and solenoid rebuild kit?

Hi there,

I am looking to refresh my OEM starter and particularly the solenoid with a rebuild kit. Does such a thing still exist? If so, who has them?

Thanks
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

I am looking to refresh my OEM starter and particularly the solenoid with a rebuild kit. Does such a thing still exist? If so, who has them?

Thanks
    Buy the eagle unit and never look back.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Thanks Josh. I have read and seen videos on the Eagle starter, and as tempting as it sounds, I am trying to stay OEM with my restoration. The starter still works strongly, but I want to refresh it while I have the engine partly disassembled.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Paris Rhone starter and solenoid rebuild kit?

If your that concerned about it, you can remove it and do a condition inspection of the internals. The plastic end cap is what usually fails due to heat.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    If your that concerned about it, you can remove it and do a condition inspection of the internals. The plastic end cap is what usually fails due to heat.
    Also check the large copper contactor and the electrodes. They burn away over time which is the common failure mode of a solenoid.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Also check the large copper contactor and the electrodes. They burn away over time which is the common failure mode of a solenoid.
    A fix for that we did with Chevy starters back in the old days was to pull the contacts (just bolts with heads for contacts) and rotate them so the contact area is now like new.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

We can supply rebuilt P.R. starters as well as many service parts like NOS solenoids,drives, brushes, bushings etc. We also have rebuilt Motorola alternators. We rebuild "in house" steering racks, brake calipers, hdlmp, wdw, mirror & defog switchs and many other items that will meet and often exceed OEM specs.
    We can supply most original correct parts for the purist at affordable prices due to 34 years of experience, inventory buyouts, and parts sourcing connections.
    Of course we also have new improved replacements for those who are not concerned with originality.
    PM, call, or email for any rebuilt or new part needs as I'm sure we can assist you.
    Rob

Hi there,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Thanks!

Is the black cap on the starter the one that you are referencing?
    Attached Images
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    We can supply rebuilt P.R. starters as well as many service parts like NOS solenoids,drives, brushes, bushings etc. We also have rebuilt Motorola alternators. We rebuild "in house" steering racks, brake calipers, hdlmp, wdw, mirror & defog switchs and many other items that will meet and often exceed OEM specs.
    We can supply most original correct parts for the purist at affordable prices due to 34 years of experience, inventory buyouts, and parts sourcing connections.
    Of course we also have new improved replacements for those who are not concerned with originality.
    PM, call, or email for any rebuilt or new part needs as I'm sure we can assist you.
    Rob
    Thanks Rob. As suggested in the thread, I'll take it off and inspect it and let you know if I need any parts. I got lucky with the steering rack, as all it needed was cleaning, paint and new gear oil.

Cheers,
    Dana

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

No he's referring to the solenoid cap (not the starter "nosecap") which overheats and melts/burns contacts. Sometimes it's repairable and sometimes not.

Thanks!

Is the black cap on the starter the one that you are referencing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast