FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Owners Association...?

My VIN:    16882.

DeLorean Owners Association...?

What are the membership advantages? Is the fee annually or one time? Anything else you can tell me about the DOA based on your experience? Thanks!

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Not many, from what I understand. Technical support, extended/fancy Tech Days (called "Expos"), and a magazine. That's kinda it.

Membership fees are annual, I believe.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Not many, from what I understand. Technical support, extended/fancy Tech Days (called "Expos"), and a magazine. That's kinda it.

Membership fees are annual, I believe.
    I used to be a DOA member many moons ago (I'm UK based) and it was great even before I got my DeLorean, quarterly magazine, badges, stickers etc... I was a young wannabe DeLorean owner back then, and I found the club scene more exciting before I actually had a DeLorean.

However with the rise of Internet forums, such as this one, offering such a huge wealth of information on tap 24/7 literally from around the world, the club, in its current form, has sort of become redundant.

I did recently rejoin the DOC UK club, and received my free tax disc holder, which made me chuckle as the requirement to display a tax disc was abolished in the UK last year, but most of the quarterly magazine is stuff I could have read online, and I don't want to detract from the hard work that goes into them.

And that's the point really, the magazine and its associated postage, is by far the biggest cost to a lot of these clubs and that's really what you're paying for, so you need to decide if a magazine is really that important to you.

There are clubs/groups such as the DeLorean Eurotec who offer all of the benefits of a club, advise, good forum, regular meet ups, parts including bespoke re manufactured stuff, for no fee (but no magazine).
    There is still a lot of work done behind the scenes but all on a volunteer basis for the love of the car and its owners.

I like the idea of car clubs but I find it hard to see where they fit in the modern online world, unless you are not online, but since you posted on here I'm guessing you are lol.

James
    Last edited by jamesrguk; 04-04-2015 at 09:46 AM.

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

James is very correct in what he writes, it's really up to if you wish to have physical magazine to read or not. There are indeed many DeLorean forums around the world two very good ones in the UK and like this one (DMCTalk) However there is still a very large demand for 'proper' magazines thats why clubs such as the DOA & DOC are still thriving and whilst I cant speak for the DOA the DOC has it's best membership rates in it's existence. Although it's gone up slightly in recent years in the past less than half of our paying members were ever registered with any forum, so there is still a large proportion of DeLorean owners that dont use the interenet at all. Seems to be lots of people do still enjoy reading proper/physical magazines and hopefully forums and magazines complement each other.
    Chris
    BTW James, Yes I know the tax disc holder was a bit odd but we have a few left so are giving them back to the people who paid for them! Most were sold on Ebay for some reason they seemed to sell well last year!
    Last edited by chris williams; 04-04-2015 at 02:57 PM.
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

There is a brand new team in the DOA, and since they already edited two new magazine which are really great.
    It's really worth it, and I think every owner should join them to support the team and the DOA still alive.
    Take a look at their brand new website:
    http://www.deloreanowners.org/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    There is a brand new team in the DOA, and since they already edited two new magazine which are really great.
    It's really worth it, and I think every owner should join them to support the team and the DOA still alive.
    Take a look at their brand new website:
    http://www.deloreanowners.org/
    Another good reason to join a club is if you participate in their events. If you are on the West Coast then maybe the DOA is for you. On the North East Coast the DMA is a good group to join for events. Speaking of events the DMA is holding it's annual Spring Social and Tech Session this May 2 in May's Landing NJ. Having a printed magazine is nice but it makes the dues higher to cover the printing and mailing costs. The Internet has made much of the content of a printed club magazine irrelevant. Most clubs have gone over to E-Zines. It allows the dues to be much lower and when you go to events you pay there to cover event costs. It's fairer since only the members who go to the events pay for the events, not the whole membership.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I am one of those who enjoy the surprise of Delorean related magazine showing up randomly in the mail. There is something about having that physical magazine that helps legitimize the Marque.

I was sad to see the demise of DW during its hiatus. This led me to join the DOC UK club for there magazine. Btw, it has also led me to purchase items that I would have never known were out there. I am now enjoying the new Delorean World magazine again along with the DOC publication. Even my wife enjoys reading through them, She would never do that if it were an online only thing, it's not her interest. But what can I say she still puts up with me, when she looks over at me after I snicker about about something funny I read on here. Then says, " let me guess your reading something Delorean again". I would have to say with a smile Yep!

I have No regrets paying the membership dues to receive both publications.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I am one of those who enjoy the surprise of Delorean related magazine showing up randomly in the mail. There is something about having that physical magazine that helps legitimize the Marque.
    I like this too. I went ahead and joined today just to try it out for the year.
    Jeff

My VIN:    1150

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post

I have No regrets paying the membership dues to receive both publications.
    Dennis, Jeff, and any other current DOA members out there shouldn't have long to wait for that next "surprise" in the mail, as we just had to finalize the submitted graphics & ad copy for the BTTF Cruise To End Parkinson's advert prior to their press deadline ;-)

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by whocruiser View Post
    Dennis, Jeff, and any other current DOA members out there shouldn't have long to wait for that next "surprise" in the mail, as we just had to finalize the submitted graphics & ad copy for the BTTF Cruise To End Parkinson's advert prior to their press deadline ;-)
    Excellent. Look forward to it!
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast