FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VIN 10201 Thread

My VIN:    10201

I don't really know how much tension it's under. I lifted the jack just high enough to cup the sway bar. Id just get an extra jack for things like this. It's also nice for getting some extra torque at times like when changing out the angle drive.

My VIN:    03572

There is not really any tension with the wheels off the ground.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    There is not really any tension with the wheels off the ground.
    Thanks guys, I feel more confident now.

Radiator is out and I didn't damage the condenser other than breaking off a stud. I sprayed a decent amount of pb blaster on it but it's hard to tell when rust is breaking loose or the stud is at that size.

I should have brought new brackets seeing as how bent these ones got though.

Got the wiring prepared for the fans. I used some weatherproof connectors from McMaster. I couldn't figure out whether I need to keep the smaller gauge wires with the new fans but I kept them anyways. I had to strip back extra length of wire and twist the 2 together then shrink wrap them together so they would fit in the little rubber seal.

I'm a bit stressed at the moment because I ordered some new radiator brackets from DPI but I haven't heard from him and my order still hasn't shipped. I need this car driving on sunday. Maybe I can reuse the old stuff temporarily.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I'm a bit stressed at the moment because I ordered some new radiator brackets from DPI but I haven't heard from him and my order still hasn't shipped.
    Are your upper brackets bent?

If so, they were practically installed as a courtesy from the factory. As long as the mounting tabs aren't ready to fall off I wouldn't hesitate to reuse them.

Seriously I think the hoses do just as much work for holding the whole assembly in place. I R&Red the entire radiator/condenser/fans last summer and had a chuckle at how nearly superflous the upper brackets are.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Yep those brackets. The stud sheared off of one them. I soaked it in pb blaster and still broke it.

My VIN:    10270

Just drill it out and put a bolt / nut in place. They're easy enough to swap later.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

That'd be a lot easier had I remember to bring my Dremel lol.

Anyways did a little clean up since I was in there, plus I'm sick of getting so much grease all over myself.

Time to post some pictures now that Im done and back at my place.

One of the AC condenser studs sheared off so I had to drill a new one in place. I used one of the old parts and clamped it on with a spring clamp to keep the drill from damaging the condenser once it got through the bracket.

I had to shave down an old wrench to hold the nut in place behind the bracket. If i had thought to bring my dremel, I would have notched out the hole and used it to panel bond a stainless bolt in. There was not enough room to pass a bolt otherwise. Note that this is the DMCEU radiator and is bolted in place vs the stock one which uses studs (I bought stainless nyloc studs before receiving it)

The finished product. I got the DPI front end recall kit and fans, and a DMCEU radiator. The radiator holes did not line up even with the stock shroud so I drilled them on the radiator. In the process I sanded my strut bar and sprayed it with black rustoleum along the the horn brackets. Would have done the lower radiator mounts but I didnt have a wire wheel and completely forgot about sand blaster. Fitting the reinforcement bracket was a lot trickier than I expected. It's not a simple bolt-in as I expected and the radiator support will need to be twe

I test drove it and it might just be because I messed with the tie rod end, but the driver side tire hits the sway bar. These are stock size tires as well. I replaced the bushings in the LCA while I had the sway bar out.

Didn't take an after picture, but I replaced the tie rod end boots. I went crazy looking for the little washer on top. The right is stock and the left is the closest I could find at home depot after searching everywhere. Mike at DMCMW eventually called me back and said the reason they are not listed on the store is because they are not necessary. I'm posting this since I couldn't find this info.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast