FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VIN 10201 Thread

My VIN:    10201

Around 90% of the paint is gone now. On the passenger side it's just the nooks and crannies that still have paint left, such as around the window seals.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Around 90% of the paint is gone now. On the passenger side it's just the nooks and crannies that still have paint left, such as around the window seals.

]
    Looking good. You'll find this is an
    80/20 rule job. 80% of the visible project takes 20% of the time.

Sent from phone
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thanks. i plan on using my walnut blaster in those nooks and crannies. Not very effective for the flat surfaces but should be able to reach the spots where I dont want to sand or chemically strip.

Since the grain was already nearly gone, I will be mirror polishing the car.

Man mobile is terrible. I had a message typed out but lost it.anyways walnut blasting is working out great around the windows but I might have to remove the door handles and locks. Unfortunately I ran out of walnut media and harbor freight is out.

Harbor freight had walnuts in the back so I was able to finish the windows. The non functional vents still have some paint cause the walnuts shells were still too big for some of the gaps. I started testing how to polish the car and the grain is still a massive amount of work to remove. Both power sanders I have are nearly useless. I have to manually sand with 100 grit to even try to remove it. I then tested one section of the T-panel. I did 100, 120, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 then polished with rouge and my dremel. Still not quite mirrored.

My VIN:    4519

My accord took a dump after work friday so I couldnt drive to georgia to work on my car, but my dad decided to start polishing and sent me these pictures.

I didnt start with that part cause there's still paint left around the vents lol, but at least that should still be good chunk of work already done.

Got my 3m panel bond adhesive and started working on the eyebrows

Before

After

The rest

Also put bonded some aluminum sheets to the fiberglass behind the grill so I can use double sided tape on the next pair of HIDs

Started installing the front end recall kit today. Realized I already have castle nuts so I won't be doing those.

I read that the sway bar is under tension and I was loosening each bolt a little bit at a time as suggested on a delorean blog post. My friend was watching me and said I should use the jack to keep it from swinging down. This went pretty smoothly and I didn't get knocked on the head, although I was working from the front of the car anyways.

It looks like I'll have to get a new one eventually since there is a decent amount of pitting on this. I'll be painting it with some rustoleum for now though.

While I'm here I'll be getting some new bushings as well and fixing my tie rod ends.

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Started installing the front end recall kit today. Realized I already have castle nuts so I won't be doing those.

I read that the sway bar is under tension and I was loosening each bolt a little bit at a time as suggested on a delorean blog post. My friend was watching me and said I should use the jack to keep it from swinging down. This went pretty smoothly and I didn't get knocked on the head, although I was working from the front of the car anyways.

It looks like I'll have to get a new one eventually since there is a decent amount of pitting on this. I'll be painting it with some rustoleum for now though.

While I'm here I'll be getting some new bushings as well and fixing my tie rod ends.
    Great post. I'm going to be doing this job shortly myself. How much tension did you find the sway bar under? Will I need another set of hands to manage it?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast