FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: VIN 10201 Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    10201

VIN 10201 Thread

Im starting a thread for my new delorean. This is my first classic. Ive never worked on cars much, but I am a mechanical engineer and work at a crash facility. The most work ive put into a car was changing the oil pan gasket on my 2000 honda accord. I had mentioned having issues with the headlights and doorlights. Doorlights were unplugged along with many other lights to keep from draining battery. The headlights were user error, I thought the light switch was OFF-LOW-HIGH, and I just happened to have my high beams on... I ended up fixing the AC duct for the passenger, reinstalling a piece of trim that wasnt on and putting the rubber pads on the pedals. I couldnt fix the cigar lighter, but did find that the radio does seem to be getting power. Someone mentioned the matching tires in another thread, i noticed the front are 215 60 14 instead of the stock 195 60 14. My friend's dad pointed out that the alternator belt needed to be changed and was being burned. I assumed I was burning my clutch not knowing how to drive manual. I took several pictures of "problem" areas I noticed and other ones in case someone can point out problems that I dont know about yet.

Rusted front suspension

Rear Suspension

Bumper bolts rusted and broken (I couldnt make out this picture at first, until I realized that fibrous texture was grass reflected off the black paint)

A-Pillar trim warped. This, the headliner drooping and a shift boot not fitting are probably the only bad parts of the interior.

Not sure what this is called, but its seperating

Shot of the front tires, you can see how theyre starting to crack

Alternator belt. This used to get about 2 inches of deflection, more on that later

Dont know what that is but it doesnt seem right

Some paper like thing under the engine

That is near the paper thing, cant really tell in the picture but coolant was dripping from it.

I think this is the fuel system, should be fairly new. Ive seen some with covers though

Other random engine bay pictures, some of the more knowledge people can maybe spot some things. I know the light is disconnected now.

I drove the car around earlier and noticed the cooling fan failure light was flickering. Temp stayed at 100F which was odd. My friend noticed a little leak from the overflow on his driveway while I was going through the car. After connecting everything the battery had drained quite a bit, so while ordering food I left the car on to let the battery recharge. Coolant started gushing out of the overflow.

The drive home wasnt too far so I drove back. While looking for my garage door opener in the back I noticed the engine bay was smoking. I turned the car off and noticed it was coming from that bottle and more coolant was spraying. Again not working on cars much before I didnt realized this would be a mistake. My neighbors came out to help push the car into the garage and I noticed that the alternator belt was gone.

Thankfully, that blue accord in the background is mine so I can still get around. But Im thinking of buying the DMC major service kit for M/T with aftermarket plugs, the silicone hose kit from specialtauto.com and high flow fan from DPI as a starting point.
    Last edited by mr_maxime; 04-03-2015 at 04:11 PM.