FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Back to the Future GPS Speedometer by Advent Controls/Firmtec

My VIN:    16409

Back to the Future GPS Speedometer by Advent Controls/Firmtec

I just received my new BTTF digital GPS Speedometer. It's offered for sale by a firm out of England called Advent Controls(http://www.adventcontrols.co.uk/bttf.htm). This is not just a prop replica, but a very reliable Speedometer instrument. Out of all the replicas I've seen, the is only one that actually works. I wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't a real speedometer. Here is some pictures:

image.jpg

image.jpg

It comes standard with your typical accessory jack plug (cigarette lighter) for power:

image.jpg

As I detest these plugs, I decided to wire it directly into the car. I tapped into the seat belt/door buzzer power wire since its in a convenient location. I also wired in an on/off switch for convince.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was able to route the power wire so it only minimally shows. Here it is with power:

image.jpg

The unit has many changeable options like MPH or Km/H, display brightness level, speed warning, and alert tone options. It uses hidden capacitive touch sensors to change all the different options. It's a very nice product. It sells for £88 plus about £5 shipping charge.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    06369

Very nice! Definitely worth the price.

My VIN:    01955

One got one of theirs, but must had been the earlier version as it does not dim. Good idea about the door chime for power. I bulk bought triple A batteries for it and seem to last me a few months before I need to change them.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    One got one of theirs, but must had been the earlier version as it does not dim. Good idea about the door chime for power. I bulk bought triple A batteries for it and seem to last me a few months before I need to change them.
    how'd u wire it up? Would have been nice for this to be powered over USB too.

I use mine but also detest the cigarette lighter adapter. Not sure i want to hardware it in though.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

When I installed flux3d's console clock into my car, I tapped into the power for the clock to feed the speedo.

My VIN:    Saving...

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    how'd u wire it up? Would have been nice for this to be powered over USB too.

I use mine but also detest the cigarette lighter adapter. Not sure i want to hardware it in though.
    you could always use a solar panel and a rechargeable battery