FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: AC no longer blowing cold :(

My VIN:    1930 June 1981, Black Interior, Automatic Transmission, Gas Flap Hood

Club(s):   (DOI)

AC no longer blowing cold :(

After recharging the system in June, the AC no longer blows cold after only 2 months...The technician did the Nitrogen test and said everything was good with no leaks but there obviously is one somewhere...He used FR12...does the type of gas matter in this case? I was told that R12 is no longer available.

My VIN:    6125

R12 is harder to come by but is still available... the EPA requires that you have a permit to buy though. If the shop you took your car to specializes in older cars they probably had access to it. The previous owner of my car would take it to Bauerle automotive and get it recharged with R12.

That being said, I'd double check your receipt from the shop to make sure it says R12. If they filled it with R143a that would more than likely cause the seals to fail and leak.

I'd take the car back to the same shop and see if the A/C system is still holding pressure. They should be able to test it by evacuating the system and capturing all the refrigerant (if there is any left) and then doing another nitrogen pressure test.

Last I heard R12 was going for like 100 bucks for a 12oz can, so you could also check and see what the materials cost was on your receipt from 2 months ago.

Its almost winter, right ?

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Quote Originally Posted by mjdehlin View Post
    R12 is harder to come by but is still available...
    It's different in Canada. R134A is as stringent here as R-12 is there, and R-12 here is worse than asbestos, apparently.

I suspect the refrigerant is smaller than R12 on a molecular level and is leaking out. It's worth having it checked again and maybe florescent dye added to the system to try and track the leak.

I redid my entire A/C system lat year. Used barrier hose for high, low, and "crossover" hose (condenser to hub) New condenser and evaporator, too (accumulator and orifice tube too, but should be a given) Runs R-134A. My car is frigid.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Last I heard R12 was going for like 100 bucks for a 12oz can, so you could also check and see what the materials cost was on your receipt from 2 months ago.
    You can still buy it on ebay for about $30 per 12oz can:
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories
    Last year I bought 3 cans with adapter hose and shipping for about $100.

Last person I talked to said the shop they went to charged $48 per pound+ labor and other fees for installation.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by go_leafs_go View Post
    After recharging the system in June, the AC no longer blows cold after only 2 months...The technician did the Nitrogen test and said everything was good with no leaks but there obviously is one somewhere...He used FR12...does the type of gas matter in this case? I was told that R12 is no longer available.
    So is the system low on freon? Does the compressor not turn on or cycle fast?

If you did not flush the system and put a different freon in you may have a dirty orifice screen.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

R12 is harder to come by but is still available....
    Not in Canada (where the OP is from although he didn't mention it)
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5439

Club(s):   (DOI)

Can you buy freon from the states and ship it to Canada?

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

You're better off driving to the US and having the R12 added there.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Hervey sells Freeze 12, which is R12 compatible.