FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Toby Tabs: New in package, ebay auction.

My VIN:    17142 (12142 originally)

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

This whole thread is a prime example as to why I don't participate much in discussions or try to sell much of anything. Grownups acting like immature children. Sad. Instead of posting how ridiculous something is just keep your fingers tied and move on. If someone is willing to buy something at what you may consider a ridiculous price, let them. It happens every day. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, afterall. I feel bad that a person who's apparently a major member in the DeLorean community is being ripped by members in the same community. Now, if he was a Honda guy trying to take advantage of us DeLorean owners, I'd say 'open fire!" LOL!

I'm sorry if this posts upsets any of you but seriously, there's no need for this kind of bickering. Lets be constructive if we do have to set someone straight.

That's all I have to say and I'm out of this discussion.
    Have a nice day, everyone!

My VIN:    4519

The dude has 3 DeLoreans, sure doesn't seem to me like he isn't active in the community.

Dale, you're invited to view my profile for my latest started threads and comment on each....that should get you up to a 20 post minimum, bro.

My VIN:    4984 '81 5 sd Grey int "Sold" 2021

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by abarringer1 View Post
    This whole thread is a prime example as to why I don't participate much in discussions or try to sell much of anything. Grownups acting like immature children. Sad. Instead of posting how ridiculous something is just keep your fingers tied and move on. If someone is willing to buy something at what you may consider a ridiculous price, let them. It happens every day. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, afterall. I feel bad that a person who's apparently a major member in the DeLorean community is being ripped by members in the same community. Now, if he was a Honda guy trying to take advantage of us DeLorean owners, I'd say 'open fire!" LOL!

I'm sorry if this posts upsets any of you but seriously, there's no need for this kind of bickering. Lets be constructive if we do have to set someone straight.

That's all I have to say and I'm out of this discussion.
    Have a nice day, everyone!
    What the heck, it was all in good fun. I've been a member here for a few years, just haven't had much time to post until now. We all love our Deloreans either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    The dude has 3 DeLoreans, sure doesn't seem to me like he isn't active in the community.

Dale, you're invited to view my profile for my latest started threads and comment on each....that should get you up to a 20 post minimum, bro.
    Thanks, I'll check it out..

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

One thing about the two auctions that Dale posted for a reference, is that they both started at or under $1, not $675.

I couldn't guess how many people bid just to Inflate the price but, both winners Did pay their Win price.
    (I know I did, I was one of them)...

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    One thing about the two auctions that Dale posted for a reference, is that they both started at or under $1, not $675.

I couldn't guess how many people bid just to Inflate the price but, both winners Did pay their Win price.
    (I know I did, I was one of them)...

George
    For what it's worth. I replaced my original TABs on 941 with Toby Tabs in 2007. The originals were clearly bent, so I can vouch for the fact that they can be a weak point. I did not start my auction at $1.00 because I don't intend to sell them unless someone else finds serious value in them and it costs extra to place any reserve on them in the auction. There was also another auction for this item after the DMC Museum auction and the TABS sold for nearly $700 bucks. I can also vouch for the fact that the Toby TABS have been quite durable and I've never heard of a failure, and we can't say that for the OEM Tabs. I suggest a look at the engineering spec sheet for doubters.
    Here's the DMCtalk link showing the specs, among other things.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?80...ight=toby+tabs

In any case, perhaps I'll add them to 1176, it's a pretty sweet Delorean as JeffU can attest to.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by funkstuf View Post
    There was also another auction for this item after the DMC Museum auction and the TABS sold for nearly $700 bucks.
    I was the winner of that auction at $661.01.
    (This was before the DMCMW TAB's were available).
    I'm not saying that the Toby TAB's are a bad thing/investment. I've yet to install mine on my car though.

George

MODS, Can this discussion be split into a New thread?
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

For what it's worth, if my TAB's ever break on me, I'd seriously consider buying them from this guy. As they say, "first editions are always better" (different context, but that's my mindset. On these anyways.)

I honestly cannot believe that a "for sale" ad turned into a nightmare debacle in under one page! Seriously guys, that was horrifically uncalled for. What kind of mob mentality of "he broke the rules, thus I can too" is this exactly? Especially, especially from someone who used to be an admin here. Two wrongs don't make a right. Three lefts do however. Now all of you involved take a breather while you make those three lefts and take the long way home.

My VIN:    6125

Wow, I can't believe the downward spiral this thread took. Stay classy DMCTalk

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

The original Toby TABs were quite special, heat treated Inconel 718 IIRC with rolled threads, I'd be surprised if this really is what is now being offered elsewhere, partly because it was complete overkill in terms of required strength.

And if they aren't identical then we're not really comparing like for like.

I have Inconel TABS on my car in the UK, these were from a small batch Martin Gutkowski had made many years ago, I don't beleive they were heat treated so probably not as strong as Toby TABS, but still probably massively over what is required and many, many, many times better than OEM.

Just need to check you're comparing apples with apples or perhaps in this instance comparing the same apples perhaps a Braeburn with a Granny Smith.

J
    Last edited by jamesrguk; 04-15-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3