FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hissem time machine

My VIN:    5754

Hissem time machine

I just finished my DeLorean time machine replica or "close representation" of the time machine. I live in Appleton, WI, so this part of the country has one now driving around town and time. I made this time machine conversion to disassemble back to stock condition. I did not make any alterations to the car. I just used what existing to work with.
    I have owned the car since Sept. of 2013. I did a full chassis rebuild from Jan. 2014-July 2014. I drove it till Nov. where I did a full brake rebuild. From Dec. to March I did the time machine work.
    Any questions of thoughts, let me know, and I will try to be more active on this forum.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    07000

Nice work! I like how you hung the flux bands off those brackets from the back instead of screwing holders in the body panels. Very clever.

My VIN:    04915

I like your car. Welcome to the forum.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

This is definitely a style of time machine conversion that I can get behind!! I've always been in love with the idea of of a reversible conversion. I may favorite this for later because I love some of your creativity. The flux bands are especially clever!

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Wow! Really well done! I like the integrated side markers in the flux boxes up front and the fact that you can still roll your windows down Awesome!

Sweet merciful heavens in the highest, that is awesome! And I thought I had a "21st century time machine". This really takes the cake for that title! Very modern and sleek right there. I guess it's time for me to step it up a notch (jk )

Maybe I'm missing it in the pics, but where do you have everything mounting to the car? I'd like to do flux bands on mine without drilling any holes, and your approach looks superb! Ditto for mounting the hardware by the rear winows. I can see you made some brackets, but can't tell where they attach.

EDIT: I think I figured out the rear windows -- looks like you made platforms for them and mounted it with one bracket each maybe? Or is there more? Really digging this setup.
    Last edited by Shep; 04-18-2015 at 09:10 AM.

I know that I could have bought an original switch, but I thought I would try to make one for fun. It does work, but is not hooked up to anything yet. It has a magnifying glass sheet cover instead of a clear plastic cover. It makes the inside of the switch box look bigger that it really is.
    Attached Images

Yes, I did make a platform to mount all the hardware that sits on the pontoons. They sit very snug and are mounted to the rear window wall. The first challenge was removing the rear corner windows. There was a lot of delicate scraping. In the process of making patterns and driving the car with and without corner windows, I figured out a way to mount the windows temporarily yet sturdy. I make a screw bracket that mounts to the louver gas struck bracket. This screw aims right at the top edge of the window and holds it firm. The rear window wall sits snug and has rubber pads to rest against the glass. Every panel works with each other to stay in place. As I was making the rear wall panel, I thought it looked a bit bare. I decided to apply brushed swirls all over it. It just gives it some depth and flare. The flux bands and brackets are mounted to the panels and hang over the outside body. There is a rubber pad that sits between the body panel and the bracket, so there is no metal on metal contact. I had to make many card board patterns of each piece, then transfer that to aluminum. I used aluminum channel with size .75x.5in. and cut notches to form the corners and elbows. Then I would pop rivet reinforcements on the sides of the bends. I mounted the flux bands by drilling strait through the band to the channel bracket with screws. I had a bock of wood behind the band between the band and body, so the drill bit would not risk drilling into the body. It worked and all is safe and good. I debated for a while on how to make the flux bands. I knew that I could make them as accurate as the original movies or compromise a bit and make them easier. I ended up choosing to make the middle section out of 1/8in. aluminum with aluminum flexible conduit welded to the outside edges. It saved hours of time in bending the piping. The flexible conduit does give it a different look, but does not take away from what it is intended to look like. I used decorative aluminum screen sheet you can get at Lowes or Home Depot for the middle covering of the bands. That has a square pattern of holes of 1/8in. and 1/16in. in rows. It makes it easy to cut with clippers and bend and form. It also gives it more depth to the bands than the regular screen. I used LED lights sandwiched between the aluminum band and the screen. The down side is that the light only shines out and is hard to replace when the time comes.
    I will take more pics of how I mounted the front flux band. I did not drill into the bumper either. Most of the strength relies on the flux boxes that are mounted from the side light mounts.

Wow, thanks for the info! I don't think you'll need to replace the LED's unless you're looking to change them. They don't "burn out" like most bulbs do, they instead get dimmer over time.

Okay, so you mounted the front ones to the side marker lights. That's what I was suspecting, but I'm actually impressed it holds the whole weight of it! Good to know actually.

Great idea with the conduit and rubber! I was expecting to have follow-up questions, but you answered pretty much all of them there. Sweet, thanks!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Matt is quite the fabricator. You should post a picture of your Space Capsule. . .
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast