FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Boiling over

Boiling over

OK

I am open to suggestions. My car has been running fine temperature wise for ages. I don't have a thermostat in atm. On Sunday morning was in a parade and the temperature gauge started climbing , got out to a side street and it boiled over. let it sit for a while, refilled the reservoir and it did it again. Managed to get it to the venue where the car was being displayed and it sat there all day. Topped the tank up in the evening as I had to get home, around 60 miles. When I started the gauge started to climb above halfway then dropped back to 1/4 for a while, then boiled again, ended up on a flatbed the rest of the way home. Any suggestions? When i refurbished the car a few years ago installed a new radiator, s/s coolant tank, all new hoses and waterpump.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

hot

wire fell off otterstat.... [same think happen to me in a parade.]

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    wire fell off otterstat.... [same think happen to me in a parade.]
    Make sure both fans run, the blades are firmly attached to the shafts, and the circuit breaker is not popping. If you keep boiling over you may have popped a head gasket. You really should have a thermostat in all the time.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5557

I had this same problem. Check to make sure the cap isn't loose. I Had to bend my tabs down to get the cap to tighten properly. No problem since.

My VIN:    4367

Running without a T-stat is not a good idea. The T-stat restricts coolant flow (even when fully open) to keep the flow thru the engine at a constant rate. If you remove the T-stat you no longer have any restriction and coolant flow is not constant and you are getting hot and cold spots. Long story short the end result is warped pistons.
    C