FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern dash look

My VIN:    07000

Modern dash look

As much as I love my DeLorean, to me, as a designer, the gauge/dash panel leaves little to be desired, I think even by 1980's standards. But maybe that's just me. So I was thinking about, if I were to redesign the gauge cluster, so it looks modern, grand tourer/exotic car, not all digital futuristic (because as cool as something like the dash is in the new Stingray, it's going to get tired looking), classic, and timeless, what would I design.
    And this is my first whack at it, using gauges from Speedhut. Also, I decided to go with a stainless steel backplate vs the current plastic, or as other customs do - machine turned metal (though it's kind of interesting from an aviation standpoint, and the doors are like wings), or carbon fiber.

Anyway, first shot at a redesign concept.
    Comments are welcomed.

Last edited by Timebender; 04-21-2015 at 05:38 PM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    turned metal (though it's kind of interesting from an aviation standpoint, and the doors are like wings), or carbon fiber.

Anyway, first shot at a redesign concept.
    Comments are welcomed.
    ]
    Is that a photograph or drawing???
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

That's quite different! I think I like it... I'm just so use to the original that it is hard to swallow this. My only comment would be whatever you do, it would (in my opinion) be best to tie the design into the AC panel and if an auto, the shift plate. It would be a shame to do a beautiful custom job and then have to look at the original AC panel. Just some thoughts I prefer OEM in my own car, but love what others come up with like this!
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Is that a photograph or drawing???
    Photo of a dash I found online, with custom gauges I created on the Speedhut website, then all Photoshopped together. About a 10 minute job more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    That's quite different! I think I like it... I'm just so use to the original that it is hard to swallow this. My only comment would be whatever you do, it would (in my opinion) be best to tie the design into the AC panel and if an auto, the shift plate. It would be a shame to do a beautiful custom job and then have to look at the original AC panel. Just some thoughts I prefer OEM in my own car, but love what others come up with like this!
    I agree- when doing a design, it needs to be tied together throughout. I like the old dash to a point, but I would think if they had had more time, and being Lotus based, they would have gone with something more European feeling - or more exotic car feeling.

My VIN:    4519

I like it, but I think it would look better with less gauges.
    Also, it gives me an odd vibe because the size/shape/placement of the right half mirrors the left half. How would it look with only one big gauge (speedometer) placed in the middle?
    Otherwise....pretty cool!

The Dash is awesome!

ED

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I like it, but I think it would look better with less gauges.
    Also, it gives me an odd vibe because the size/shape/placement of the right half mirrors the left half. How would it look with only one big gauge (speedometer) placed in the middle?
    Otherwise....pretty cool!
    True, you could always go with one big gauge in the middle, they even make a combi gauge with all the readings in one large face. This first shot was taking the existing dash and replacing the current gauges with the round ones, and changing the back panel from plastic to stainless (or stainless look). Thus the sides mirroring each other, plus I was trying to keep it symmetrical and balanced. Lots of other options to play around with.

More to come.

Concept #2. The turn signals as well as high beam indicators are in the gauge.

Last edited by Timebender; 04-21-2015 at 06:32 PM.

updated dash

I always thought the Esquire series of gauges from Classic Instruments would look complement the dash.

classic instruments - esquire.jpg

On the downside, they are fantastically expensive.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast