FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern dash look

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Conceptually I like #7. With this technology, could the background colors and intensities be selected? That would clinch it for me as my favorite.
    I don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    Driving home today I was thinking about this thread. I looked at my dash and noticed, (again), I couldn't see my turn signal indicators, or the volt and oil pressure gauge.
    The way I set my steering wheel, (It also tends to Droop over time), and where my head height is, I can't see half of the upper gauges/lights...

George
    Yeah and I think that's going to change for everyone. In my old turbo bug, if I adjusted the wheel to be lower it cut off a good portion of the display. Can't wait to get mine back from Danny's, though all this is a design exercise and most likely will never see the light of day - unless I win the lottery.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I really like the "light arc" concept. I'd make them multicolor, though, with different colors on the gauges similar to stock. For example, in the battery arc, white in the middle and red at either end. I'd work this up, but I suck at graphics. I could sketch it, though.

BTW, Timebender -- I love the avatar. Just yesterday I was behind someone with a plate frame that said "My other car is a TARDIS."
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

I get that - the idea here was the gauge acts as a visual cue - green for good, yellow for warning, and red for, well, bad.

Meanwhile, here's #8 (I just can't stop as I'm SO close..).
    The idea behind this was a stainless steel fridge I recently saw. No interface at all, but then suddenly a blue display appeared as of out of nowhere, from behind the metal, like some magical writing on the metal itself. I was impressed to say the least, so thought I'd try that here.

So, this is in the same vein for all the indicator lights - btw the LAMBDA is missing in all as my D has a Corvette engine, but you get the idea.

These mockups, beautiful as they are, remind me of the old joke that the primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the home repairman. LOL I will definitely keep my dash simpler, but if I had the ability I'd do something along the lines of your "hidden indicator lights," as well -- albeit behind a matte black panel instead of a stainless grained one.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    BTW, Timebender -- I love the avatar. Just yesterday I was behind someone with a plate frame that said "My other car is a TARDIS."
    Thanks, found it somewhere out there in the ether- and being a time bender (which btw is NOT a time traveler...) but I love all time travel stories, I thought this was kinda cool.

Btw, you do voice overs? Wow! (I'm an amateur at best with one IMDB credit).

You have a great voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Btw, you do voice overs? Wow! (I'm an amateur at best with one IMDB credit).

You have a great voice.
    Thanks! Getting far off topic now, but yes, I do voice overs. I've been in radio for about 15 years. I am also an actor, having done some local theatre, local video productions, and a TV pilot. Someone told me that I should strike out on my own as a voice talent, and so I started a few years ago. The demo reel on my website is made up of audition material. Strangely enough, the most recent gig I got was recording announcements for a train station in California. Go figure! LOL

Train station in Ca, yes, odd to say the least. I used to be a video producer, so when I'd look for voice talent and present a few to a client, they'd almost always say, "Can we just use your voice?" which I never got, but it seems to be good enough I guess (some people say I either sound like Jim Henson or Will Farrell- both of whom I could resemble as well - Henson when I had a beard).

Anyway, my IMDB was for a character voice for an independent animated film. To me voice acting is much more of a kick then narrating.

Now back on topic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    I get that - the idea here was the gauge acts as a visual cue - green for good, yellow for warning, and red for, well, bad.

Meanwhile, here's #8 (I just can't stop as I'm SO close..).
    The idea behind this was a stainless steel fridge I recently saw. No interface at all, but then suddenly a blue display appeared as of out of nowhere, from behind the metal, like some magical writing on the metal itself. I was impressed to say the least, so thought I'd try that here.

So, this is in the same vein for all the indicator lights - btw the LAMBDA is missing in all as my D has a Corvette engine, but you get the idea.

I feel like if this were made, the tach would need a green/yellow/red variant to mimic the BTTFIII boiler gauge lol

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    These mockups, beautiful as they are, remind me of the old joke that the primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the home repairman.
    YEP! And software developers as well. If they're really good, they should be able to make anything I can design. Some have been able to, and lesser one's have not.

And I think I've found my new quote for now!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast