FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern dash look

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by movieman1026 View Post
    I feel like if this were made, the tach would need a green/yellow/red variant to mimic the BTTFIII boiler gauge lol
    If I had a BTTF DeLorean, that could be a nice mod, as if when the DeLorean was struck by lightning before being sent back to 1885, that caused the tach to completely get fried from the electrical impulse, so Doc had to replace it with a gauge he made.

My VIN:    5210

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

I’ve been reading through this thread and I really dig the concept of an updated dash. I could see this project be very easy to breadboard with the x27.168 stepper motor, controller and an Arduino (see Adafruit kit). I’m currently investigating parts for creating my own hybrid style dash, leaving the speedometer and tachometer with an original analog / mechanical look but all other gauges would be displayed on an LCD screen.

Here is an example of a proof of concept for a simple Arduino driven LCD gauge monitor. (YouTube Link)

I’ll keep digging for resources and share my findings
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

Status: Newbie - Apologies in advanced for a lack of knowledge of forum topics and etiquette. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing and yes! Please do share more what you find. I wonder if the adafruit solution would work with a gps so we could get rid of the angle drive, the way the Speedhut model does.

Looks like Adafruit has a GPS breakout board that can do 10Hz (location updates per second), but I don't think it can obtain a signal as fast as the SpeedHut gauges (Adafruit + warm/cold ~34sec Vs. SpeedHut ~2-3 sec). I'll scope out Digikey and Element14 for some other possible GPS options, but I think there could be a better electromechanical option, like a digital pick up/sending unit from a motorcycle.
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

Status: Newbie - Apologies in advanced for a lack of knowledge of forum topics and etiquette. Thanks!

My VIN:    03572

I think you need a GPS with an accelerometer which it uses to get faster more accurate MPH readings. My Sony GPS has one and it's MPH readout follows the stock gauge.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

A colleague of mine, who has done amazing UI work for movies like Star Wars, suggested I try Carbon Fiber vs. brushed metal.

I kinda like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    A colleague of mine, who has done amazing UI work for movies like Star Wars, suggested I try Carbon Fiber vs. brushed metal.

I kinda like it.

I have to agree with you there! I think sticking with the dark background and using stainless steel hardware as subtle accents is rather striking. Nice iteration!
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I think you need a GPS with an accelerometer which it uses to get faster more accurate MPH readings. My Sony GPS has one and it's MPH readout follows the stock gauge.
    Great point! I've seen some triple axis accelerometer kits, using the ADXL335 for Arduino and Beaglebone. Might be fun breadboard project

Also kudos to you Bitsyncmaster on all your work on your solid-state relay updates! Awesome stuff!
    3D Artist @ Wayfair LLC.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Looking really good!

Thanks Domi!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast