FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy of a Steering rack (YouTube)

Anatomy of a Steering rack (YouTube)

A little less well structured than my previous efforts, and with advanced apologies for the peculiar editing in places. I want everyone to see why these racks so often get play in them... and an idea I had for doing something about it!

Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Another great video Martin, THANKS!
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

So Martin, would you consider selling a complete rebuild kit?

Once those new bearings have done a few miles, and I've ironed out a few bugs (you may have noticed I had to use a lot of shims to get the correct height for example).
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------

My VIN:    5875

Martin, great video! Thanks so much for sharing this.

Those sealed bearings are brilliant. I had no idea the originals were just an opened design like that and never would have thought about losing all the oil to the upper bearing when the boots go bad.

My drivers boot was bad when I bought the car and had plans to replace them both over this coming winter, along with other front end clean-up. Even though I'm not having any rack issues now, it's got me thinking I should defintely address the rack this winter, too.

If those sealed bearings are something your going to be offering as a kit in the near future I will defintely be interested.

Couple quick questions, if it's ok. I noticed that you installed the pinion first and then the video cut and you had the rack in. Can the rack be installed after the pinion? is there enough clearance with the pretentioner out to slip it by the pinion?

Another quick question. It looked like from the video that the upper sealed bearing you installed was a "press fit". If so, would shims really be nessesary? I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding that part about adjusting the pretention on the pinion.

Thanks again!
    Andy Garand

Quote Originally Posted by DMCNY View Post
    Couple quick questions, if it's ok. I noticed that you installed the pinion first and then the video cut and you had the rack in. Can the rack be installed after the pinion? is there enough clearance with the pretentioner out to slip it by the pinion?
    This is why proper programs work out a script beforehand My approach is to waffle on and hope I get enough footage and spiel to make a coherant video! Actually the reason I didn't shoot the rack going in is that my camera battery was getting really low!

The assembly order is bottom bearing, rack, pinion, top bearing, shims and cover plates.

Another quick question. It looked like from the video that the upper sealed bearing you installed was a "press fit". If so, would shims really be nessesary? I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding that part about adjusting the pretention on the pinion.
    It's a tight fit, but far from being a press fit. A press fit would have required a press or at least a vice, not just a few light taps from a hammer. The new bearings are a bit tighter than the originals, but again, nothing that can't be solved with a few taps from a hammer.

I think my next step will be to have some more inserts made that're shorter, and rather than machine down the inner race on one side, I'll get shims made to space the bearing away from the ends - so rather than those oval shims, they'll look like washers.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------

BTW there's no prize for spotting that my fly was undone... Mike's already won it (it's why those particular trousers were relegated to workshop use...)
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    BTW there's no prize for spotting that my fly was undone... Mike's already won it (it's why those particular trousers were relegated to workshop use...)
    Hmmmmm, yes....I too have a pair of them specially designated for DeLorean work .
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    05287

Great video!

Its always nice to see a bit into the future of what kind of head scratching might be done if I have to pull apart such things!

Thank you for your efforts!

No probs - I enjoy talking DeLoreans.... even to an empty garage & camera!

ps just noticed the typo in the title.... Sean, can you wave your moderation wand please?
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast