FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: New Art Project

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Wow - now you've done two of my three favorite cars (thought the Countach in red is a much better way to go..). My other fave? 1963 23 Window VW Bus - had one I restored and regret selling a long time ago. I say 63 because that's my birth year, but also because the 63 was unique in that it included features from the 62's and upcoming 64 21 Window busses.

Anyway, again, nice work Geoff. I'll be following you on IG.
    Tanks!

Lol... I actually saw a 23 window VW recently! Might need to do one soon... I have a lot of VW friends who'd like to see one.

I did a white Countach because I wanted to do a minimalistic piece this time around. The white car on a white background felt simpler, and maybe leaves more to the viewer's imagination.

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDMC12 View Post
    The school that I am attending didn't let me touch a computer until first studying manual sketching for over a year. After that it was a slow process translating those skills to digital media.
    That's the way to do it IMHO. You need to understand the basics of drawing, perspective, lighting, etc. first by doing it from pen to paper (or pencil then pen then marker), because doing stuff that way, you can't easily erase a mistake, you can rough sketch, then do a version with blue lines, and so on - there's a process that happens when using our muscles in certain ways that commits easier to the brain so it becomes more natural and over time we get better at it. Imagine having to illustrate people. I've done lots of architecture, industrial design, and technical illustration work long before we had the ability to do that stuff (affordably) on computers, all on vellum with ink and markers, and long before I became a UX designer now - with the skill of being an industrial designer, which a lot of UX people don't have in their arsenal, and I'm thankful for every moment of learning the analog way. And I used to be pretty good at cartoon illustrations. Now if I could draw a car, or even a real person (or living thing), I'd be super happy, because I have some cool ideas stuck in my head that need to get onto paper, and when I sketch them it just isn't translating.
    To be honest, I think tools like Illustrator and Photoshop made me lazy in that regard.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    That's the way to do it IMHO. You need to understand the basics of drawing, perspective, lighting, etc. first by doing it from pen to paper (or pencil then pen then marker), because doing stuff that way, you can't easily erase a mistake, you can rough sketch, then do a version with blue lines, and so on - there's a process that happens when using our muscles in certain ways that commits easier to the brain so it becomes more natural and over time we get better at it. Imagine having to illustrate people. I've done lots of architecture, industrial design, and technical illustration work long before we had the ability to do that stuff (affordably) on computers, all on vellum with ink and markers, and long before I became a UX designer now - with the skill of being an industrial designer, which a lot of UX people don't have in their arsenal, and I'm thankful for every moment of learning the analog way. And I used to be pretty good at cartoon illustrations. Now if I could draw a car, or even a real person (or living thing), I'd be super happy, because I have some cool ideas stuck in my head that need to get onto paper, and when I sketch them it just isn't translating.
    To be honest, I think tools like Illustrator and Photoshop made me lazy in that regard.
    That's why I got the Cintiq, been drawing my whole life it seemed more appropriate.

It took a while to get the hand-eye coordination down, but I've gotten use to the Wacom (Intuos)... a good thing since Cintiq is quite a bit pricier than a the Intuos.

FYI: There's an app called AstroPad that allows you to mirror your Mac desktop on your iPad, essentially a Cintiq-like environment. Have it, played with it a little, but my iPad is too small (I got the 9") for it to be useful. Shoulda sprung for the 12" iPad. :-P

FYI: just got my own website up and running. Haven't turned on the e-commerce module yet, but I think this is a better venue to showcase my work than Adobe's Behance.net. Check it out at geoffombao.com. As always, feedback is very welcomed!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Nicely done! Makes a good portfolio for anyone looking to hire a GA also.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Nicely done! Makes a good portfolio for anyone looking to hire a GA also.
    Thanks... I use to do graphics, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. :-)

Awesome member

My VIN:    5292

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDMC12 View Post
    FYI: just got my own website up and running. Haven't turned on the e-commerce module yet, but I think this is a better venue to showcase my work than Adobe's Behance.net. Check it out at geoffombao.com. As always, feedback is very welcomed!
    The website looks great! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by blueshark66 View Post
    The website looks great! Congrats!
    Thanks. It needs to serve two purposes (showcase my car design portfolio, and my classic car artwork), which made it difficult to design. Now I need to make arrangements with a printing vendor so I can start selling my artwork.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5