FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Why is this part different.

Why is this part different.

I Purchased this hand brake cover from DMC a while back.

It is different to my factory one and id like to know why.

Any ideas?Handbrake.jpg

My VIN:    16409

Originally, I belive the hand brake cover was secured with nuts and bolts. To facilitate easier removal of the part, it was no longer bolted down. I imagine the factory either changed or modified the cover to negate the bolt holes. It looks like yours broke. I can see where the holes used to be.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The original ones had plastic push pins in those holes. Generally wiped off by the seat movement.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Early VIN P.B. Cover/carpet

Yours appears to be from a very early VIN car. The DMCH replacement was used for later cars in both shades of gray for all cars after the first few hundred (approximately) VIN's as it was less prone to damage and easier to R&R. The early style part is unlikely to be available from DMCH. Early VIN cars have many parts that were modified/changed or otherwise made obsolete later on. This is what makes them so interesting from a Delorean evolution standpoint. I love taking early VIN cars apart to see the unique parts they include. Restoring VIN #502 revealed a cornucopia of unique parts that were later modified or replaced during the production run. That parking brake cover is one of them.
    Rob

Early vin

I wish I had the money to send my car to get a full resto, vin 12181 Wooler Hodec RHD I bet you would find some surprises with this one.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

The one in my car is like the lower one (with the extra material). It is always jammed against the side of the seat. I can't get the bolts in with the seat in, but I'm not sure I can get the seat in with the cover on... I can see why it would be nicer to have the later style.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    The one in my car is like the lower one (with the extra material). It is always jammed against the side of the seat. I can't get the bolts in with the seat in, but I'm not sure I can get the seat in with the cover on... I can see why it would be nicer to have the later style.
    Ditto on 1880
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

I did some checking and the P.B.Cover change was implemented or phased in somewhere between Vin 002416 & 2614 with no discernable service or parts update bulletin to mark the change. Perhaps James could locate some internal document but it appears to have recieved no notice by the factory.That's a minor pity as it greatly facilitates seat removal and/or P.B. cable or quadrant servicing. What an esoteric thing to be researching on a holiday weekend. It's time to go for a drive.
    Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Ditto on 1880

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    What an esoteric thing to be researching on a holiday weekend. It's time to go for a drive.
    Rob
    Rob, Go for a drive. You deserve it...

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yet another oddball thing to love about the early cars. I'll need to check 888 and see which version it has.