FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Today's troubles, loss of power

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Today's troubles, loss of power

Hi all, had talked about this problem last summer and thought it to be concured. How ever yesterday on my drive home it showed up again.
    About half way through my 45min drive home (about 55mph all the way) as I am coasting down a long steady hill in gear it almost bucks a bit if you will, clutch in ,seems to idle back no problem and no bucking. Come to a stop at a few lights before my subdivsion, start to ease into the throttle keeping it steady, it's almost as if it's got no power then all at once she takes off as if I have nitrous lol same result at the next few lights. Well waiting for them to go green she seems to idle normal area however Id say slightly rougher. Haven't driven it again, but once I was into the subdivsion she seemed fine again, hammered on it down my street and it seemed normal.
    I've got some ideas but more or less grasping at staws. I'm assuming it's fuel troubles, suggestion?

Bit of back ground, last year I cleaned the tank inside vary well, new pick up filter, aswell installed a spring into the pick up line to pervent collapse. New boot and cover.
    Plugs cap wire rotors fuel filter done last spring

Thanks in advance for any help!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've seen a sticky fuel distributor or sticky air flap mechanism do that. It needs to be essentially frictionless, and if it isn't the car will be wildly lean for a few seconds as you accelerate, and then clear up. It will be very rich if it sticks on the way down, but you don't usually notice that as much unless you get fire out the tail pipe.

Also make sure there are no restrictions/kinks in the fuel return line, that will really upset the fuel pressures in the system and make it run strangely as well. Look for kinks in the hose that goes to the return line on the pump, about the only place it can happen since everything else is hard line.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

[QUOTE=DMCMW Dave;171984]I've seen a sticky fuel distributor or sticky air flap mechanism do that. It needs to be essentially frictionless, and if it isn't the car will be wildly lean for a few seconds as you accelerate, and then clear up. It will be very rich if it sticks on the way down, but you don't usually notice that as much unless you get fire out the tail pipe.

Also make sure there are no restrictions/kinks in the fuel return line, that will really upset the fuel pressures in the system and make it run strangely as well. Look for kinks in the hose that goes to the return line on the pump, about the only place it can happen since everything else is hard line.[/QUOTE/]

Another thing to check is the frequency valve. If it stops the engine will lean out and lose power. Take the plug off the valve and put it back on a couple of times to clean up the contacts.
    David Teitelbaum

Sounds sort of like a frequency valve when one isn't working consistently. Electrical connections at the valve ok? How old is your RPM relay? Many OEM units had dual points - one for the fuel pump and one to run the lambda and frequency valve. I've had the lambda one not work intermittently on more than one of those RPM relays and causes a symptom like you describe. Intermittent at first then more frequently. Replacing the RPM relay fixed it.

Thanks for the sysgestion's guys! forgot to mention the front rubber lines I replaced last year aswell and I laid them out real nice. All should be good up front, one thing that has been sygested I do and i haven't yet is replace the stock fuel pump connection. I have cleaned it, but still stock.
    Going to try to make time this weekend to check out the plungers and connections, in a pinch I can steal the frequency valve off my 82 to try. Relay system was replaced by the owner before me, believe they have dmc2013 on them. I shall check connections on it aswell.
    Anyway to test the frequency valve?

Btw Dave s, didn't want to bother you with a call, but got your message and thanks so much for getting me that brake line on the way for my 82, much appicated!!

Other thing to add possibly related, a problem I have always had with this car is bit of a rough start after sitting over night or for several hours (has no problem starting, but runs rough) Clears itself out after only a few seconds if you give it a bit of gas. I generally will turn the key to run twice to prime before I try to start, always assumed I have a leaking down injector

I lied, rpm relay is an original unit. I do have another spare original In the car
    I didn't get into unplugging things as its dark out, but fired the car up, frequency valce seemed to buzz away like normal, wiggled some wires with no change
    Last edited by Gfrank; 05-01-2015 at 11:17 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    I lied, rpm relay is an original unit. I do have another spare original In the car
    I didn't get into unplugging things as its dark out, but fired the car up, frequency valce seemed to buzz away like normal, wiggled some wires with no change
    Don't just wiggle it, actually pull the plug off the valve and put it back on a couple of times. It may be working now but it could be intermittent and when it is not working the mixture will be too lean.
    David Teitelbaum

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quite honestly, I wouldn't mess around with OEM RPM relay anymore. You may want to get in touch with Dave McKeen (bitsyncmaster) and look into getting one of his solid state RPM relay rebuilds and never have to worry about it again.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Don't just wiggle it, actually pull the plug off the valve and put it back on a couple of times. It may be working now but it could be intermittent and when it is not working the mixture will be too lean.
    Perfect thanks Dave, will do, just wasn't getting into it the other night, I did have a few min to tinker this evening, air flap seems to move smooth no problems, I also pulled the injectors out and did a cup test, all seem to spray about the same, how ever have two or three with bad atomization, more just a stream. Look into having them clean first. I am loosing fuel pressure at the distributer over night

I was thinking I may just grab an updated rpm relay regardless, one less thing to think about

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast