FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Car Shows - Awards Won and Discussion

My VIN:    16882.

Today I attended an event with approx. 110 cars. I was the ONLY 'exotic' in attendance - all the rest were either new American muscle or restored muscle/classics. There were about 10 specialty awards and an additional "top 50" for a total of 60 awards. I got squat. There's no middle ground with this car - you either get lots of attention and top prize, or...shunned, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    16409

We have a yearly British Car Show in my town. They make a DeLorean class when we show up with at least 3 cars. They hand out first and second place for every class, so two of us are guaranteed awards.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 10-30-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    We have a yearly British Car Show in my town. They make a DeLorean class when we show up with at least 3 cars. They hand out first and second place for every class, so two of us are guaranteed awards.

image.jpg

Having gone to many local shows, and some big ones too, the Delorean is an under-appreciated car. The British shows see it as an American car and the American shows see it as an import. The awards mean nothing. I go for the appreciation of the crowds and the kids. With the doors open people see it from across the field and come flocking to it passing other more expensive or exotic cars. Just about everyone smiles when they see it and thank me for bringing it. IMHO the only awards that matter are the ones given out by DCS where Deloreans compete against other Deloreans in the Concours. Those judges know what a Delorean is supposed to look like and only they can properly judge a Delorean. That is not to say I have never won awards at local show, I just don't get them often.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

image.jpg
    Congrats!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3937

image.jpg
    The British Car Show in this area is a bit of a big one. 1,000+ cars is typical. We have had our own class for a few years and this year we had 15 cars in total I think it was. We also have had a "gentleman's rule" on entering your car for judging such that if you've ever won 1st place, you don't enter, so that someone else can win.

We're probably pretty close to all the regulars having won 1st place at least once, so in a "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once and a while" kind of way, I won 1st place this year. Yee haw! A plaque, a little jug of car cleaner stuff and bragging rights 'til next year. Didn't hurt that our Time Machine owner didn't enter considering he had about a million people around his car the entire day.

2.jpg

I even came sporting my first DMC t-shirt from back in the day... in an effort not to show up wearing the same shirt as half the other guys there. Ends up looking like we're all wearing the required uniform or something. Done that more times than I can count.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Now we know what Jonathan looks like

And his Bono glasses.

Wish I could time a trip to Canada with that show. Would be like the high street where I grew up . Except the cars would be cleaner. And there is sunshine
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    Today I attended an event with approx. 110 cars. I was the ONLY 'exotic' in attendance - all the rest were either new American muscle or restored muscle/classics. There were about 10 specialty awards and an additional "top 50" for a total of 60 awards. I got squat. There's no middle ground with this car - you either get lots of attention and top prize, or...shunned, lol!
    I started reading your post, and thought "must be in the South".... looked under your screen name and.... yyyyep! The South. It sucks, doesn't it? I was just having this discussion today with someone at work, about shows around here only having American muscle and such, and feeling like an oddball with the DeLorean, so I rarely go because it's not much fun. Cool exotic shows are few and far between. It's really frustrating. The caffeine and octane show here (our version of whatever wording of coffee and gasoline) is a zoo, extremely hectic, far, and too stupid early to go to. Great turnout of everything you can imagine including exotics, but WTF... why do people love Sunday morning at 7am so much?
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'm in the Pacific Northwest and almost all of our shows are American muscle cars. I go to them anyway because I'm a trouble maker and like to upset "those" guys. I always get a chuckle when people push past the 6 or 7 Mustangs and Corvettes to get to the one DeLorean. I bet my car gets more pictures and excitement then any of the others.

Also - in the judged competitions I never win... Only time I do is when its a limited category - 80s and newer or import typically only has one or two cars. I also almost always win when the voting is sponsor's choice or public voting. The British field meet around here is huge - more than 300 cars pre-register and a lot more just show up day of. Both years I participated I took first place beating out some McLarens and Aston Martins.

The take away - don't go to street rod shows and expect to win awards or get respect from the ohter owners. There's a few exceptions but most of them aren't nice to us. Still go - if nothing more than to upset the balnce.
    Find yourself and nice Brit show or an orphan car show... You'll have a good time because those owners are weirdos... just like us.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Awesome member

My VIN:    5292

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I'm in the Pacific Northwest and almost all of our shows are American muscle cars. I go to them anyway because I'm a trouble maker and like to upset "those" guys. I always get a chuckle when people push past the 6 or 7 Mustangs and Corvettes to get to the one DeLorean. I bet my car gets more pictures and excitement then any of the others.

Also - in the judged competitions I never win... Only time I do is when its a limited category - 80s and newer or import typically only has one or two cars. I also almost always win when the voting is sponsor's choice or public voting. The British field meet around here is huge - more than 300 cars pre-register and a lot more just show up day of. Both years I participated I took first place beating out some McLarens and Aston Martins.

The take away - don't go to street rod shows and expect to win awards or get respect from the ohter owners. There's a few exceptions but most of them aren't nice to us. Still go - if nothing more than to upset the balnce.
    Find yourself and nice Brit show or an orphan car show... You'll have a good time because those owners are weirdos... just like us.

Cheers
    Steven
    OK, newbie question (apologies ahead of time): What does our beloved D qualify as? Import? Domestic? Obviously an orphan. Just curious. Never thought about it before reading this thread.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by blueshark66 View Post
    OK, newbie question (apologies ahead of time): What does our beloved D qualify as? Import? Domestic? Obviously an orphan. Just curious. Never thought about it before reading this thread.
    I think it's classed, (informally or formally) as an exotic.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast