FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "Lost in Transmission" - Rutledge Wood new series, with a D

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Is it just me or is it just hard to think they took those 2 POS and made the one car or was that just a ringer they brought in for the "finished" car?
    No, it's not hard at all. The plot to this show had more holes in it than that chassis.

My guess is that they probably already had the ringer ready to go, and then just took the doors, facias, and bonnet off to make it look like a parts car. Then what they did was set out to find someone with a derelict car that they could just exchange it with in order to "complete" the build.

1. Never minding the problem with using a DA sandar on SS that you'll need to regrain, as soon as they took that panel off they would have seen the damage from the other side. No need to remove paint to get down to it.
    2. Yes, fenders can be that expensive, but they're also repairable. Even DMCH has stated in the past that while they have a supply of fenders, they will NOT just sell them. Only in very extreme cases where the body panel is beyond repair will they consider selling you one. Most of all, it's at a much, MUCH cheaper price to repair than replace that fender.
    3. Again with the rarity and high prices of those peices, that fender is usually the very first thing to go on any parts car. Any time you see a DMC-12 in a junkyard, you'll easily see proof of that.

I honestly don't think they had any intention of doing any engine swaps, stripping the car, or let alone actually repairing a DeLorean. If we were to take that random $16K number that was tossed out, that would have been more than enough to purchase a rough runner, and throw some new seat covers and polish on it.

It wasn't too bad overall with the treatment of the car, I will say that. The secondary character I didn't like. It was his role as some sort of antagonist or something since reality TV shows always need some sort of drama in every single episode. That, along with the setups, it just grates on me. Especially the acting.

But most of all, they literally did nothing at all with the car. Nothing. What was the point?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    But most of all, they literally did nothing at all with the car. Nothing. What was the point?
    Ratings? People will watch DeLoreans. Not sure why people are bothered or surprised by this ep. I still enjoyed it knowing full well nothing would be as it seems. I'd be happy if they'd dedicate an entire ep to how much of a deathtrap our cars are frankly. You could do an entire season of a reality show with our cars without making a single thing up.

When I ask what the point is, I don't just mean about ratings. And here is exactly what I'm talking about:

eurotec2011a46.jpg

Wheeler Dealers did the absolute best car show episode about the DeLorean that I've ever seen. Why? Because they have one of the best car shows ever. I would rank them equally with Stacey David. Both shows are fun, and the hosts are encouraging and relatable, as are the overwhelming majority of their projects. That's important to me. I, like many other people, have plenty of problems to deal with in life. I'm good on drama, tension, and stress in my life. I don't need anymore, and I especially don't need a TV show to act as an empathy box from a Phillip K. Dick novel so that I can feel the artificial pain of others. I have quite enough, thank you.

Nothing mechanical at all was done in this show. The only things done were the removal of some body panels, incompetent removal of paint, and then just phoning the whole thing in with abandoning the project and bringing in another car. The nicest thing that I can say about this show was that they didn't disparage the car as much as others have done in the past. But compare it to other shows. Watching Ed China dropping a transaxle to replace a front main seal, doing fiberglass work on a louver to repair it, and re-skinning seats? THAT was entertaining. Sure, car shows will have helpers, and a good amount of work occurs off-camers. But at least some work actually happens. And even then, it's done in a positive, calm manner. Something go wrong? Ok, let's discuss what happened and what our strategy to overcome it is. No fake deadlines, no jerks throwing tools around a shop, no fights, nothing like that.

This show? I can't lie, I'm not entertained. Others may love it, and that's fine. I can't possibly understand WHY aside from the fact that there's a DeLorean on TV that people aren't making fun of. Shows like this are exactly why I got rid of cable, and when you speak to lots of other cord-cutters, it's the same for them too.
    Robert

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

No, it's not hard at all. The plot to this show had more holes in it than that chassis.

My guess is that they probably already had the ringer ready to go, and then just took the doors, facias, and bonnet off to make it look like a parts car. Then what they did was set out to find someone with a derelict car that they could just exchange it with in order to "complete" the build.

1. Never minding the problem with using a DA sandar on SS that you'll need to regrain, as soon as they took that panel off they would have seen the damage from the other side. No need to remove paint to get down to it.
    2. Yes, fenders can be that expensive, but they're also repairable. Even DMCH has stated in the past that while they have a supply of fenders, they will NOT just sell them. Only in very extreme cases where the body panel is beyond repair will they consider selling you one. Most of all, it's at a much, MUCH cheaper price to repair than replace that fender.
    3. Again with the rarity and high prices of those peices, that fender is usually the very first thing to go on any parts car. Any time you see a DMC-12 in a junkyard, you'll easily see proof of that.

I honestly don't think they had any intention of doing any engine swaps, stripping the car, or let alone actually repairing a DeLorean. If we were to take that random $16K number that was tossed out, that would have been more than enough to purchase a rough runner, and throw some new seat covers and polish on it.

It wasn't too bad overall with the treatment of the car, I will say that. The secondary character I didn't like. It was his role as some sort of antagonist or something since reality TV shows always need some sort of drama in every single episode. That, along with the setups, it just grates on me. Especially the acting.

You may be right, the parts car may have been the ringer. Anyway, if anyone watches these kinds of shows in the hope of "learning" what to do with their old car they will be sadly misinformed. It's all about entertainment and ratings, not education. I have seen some of the cars after they have been used in such shows. They are not shining examples of anything. They are just props to be disposed of.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10201

I was disappointed too. I mean I got excited every time I saw the delorean thinking "thats such a cool car." owning one hasnt fully sunk in, since Ive driven mine for less than a week. Otherwise though, I was disappointed in how little work they did on the car itself. Nothing on how they out the 2 cars together, or certain quirks about the delorean build. They mention the stainless steel and fiberglass, which makes sense to delorean owners, but the majority of people seem to think its 100% stainless weighing around 5000 lbs. The secondary guy was awful, arrogantly talking down the delorean just repeating the same crap clueless people say about the car. He said delorean owners love it with the stock engine... Im rather new here, but it looks like thats one of the top things people want to change here. I dont think the 350 would have been a good choice though

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Call me crazy, but I was expecting to see some, I dunno, like ... work ... being done on the car. You know, like repairing it, in some fashion. But it looks like the show is more about the host than the vehicles.

At least Chad's O.T.T. schmacting was fantastic. I laughed out loud at the end.

I definitely won't watch any other episodes, though.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    At least Chad's O.T.T. schmacting was fantastic. I laughed out loud at the end.
    Oh god, yes! I did honestly laugh my ass off at that! I was watching Chad's face and the host's reactions to him. They're trying to make like Chad was so emotionally moved that he was overwhelmed... And I was just laughing and thinking to myself, "Idiots! Chad's making fun of you!"

For anyone wondering, here's an article with some great insight into what goes on behind the scenes in shows like this. Give it a read, especially the portion about how owners are coached by the production on how they're supposed to act when the car is revealed to them. Then re-watch the big reveal here knowing what people are told and you'll see just how funny Chad's response is...

Behind the scenes of "Pimp my Ride."
    Robert

My VIN:    <2000

I was also disappointed for the same reasons. Whenever a new car show is announced, I record one episode to evaluate it. I can't stand "reality"shows with all the excessive drama, etc. I want to learn something in exchange for my time, otherwise I would rather spend it working on my car.

The show's premise is sound, and I find Rutledge to be an honest and likeable guy, but they need to focus on the target car and the work done to it to make me record another episode. I like Wheeler Dealers, and Chasing Classic Cars for their minimal drama and the educational value.

I get that any new show needs to compete hard for a share of the viewership pie. The top show in the 70s was Happy Days and it got 31% of the viewers, in the 80s it was The Cosby Show with 25%, now top rated Big Bang Theory only gets 6%. However, to me, if a show follows the same tired formula, it just blends into the background of the IQ dropping reality landscape.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    02613

Reminds me of something David Attenborough said once. He said he sees no reason why entertainment can't also be educational, and vice versa. Maybe people who do car shows should take that advice. Of course, that's up to the production staff. The host may have a lot of knowledge to share, but if the producers think s/he is getting too deep and "average" viewers would turn off because of that, then you're only going to get some basic knowledge, and then cut to the next scene.

I have to say one thing: I am glad they didn't try to install the GM 350 engine. I doubt the stock radiator would have been able to handle it.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Oh god, yes! I did honestly laugh my ass off at that! I was watching Chad's face and the host's reactions to him. They're trying to make like Chad was so emotionally moved that he was overwhelmed... And I was just laughing and thinking to myself, "Idiots! Chad's making fun of you!"

For anyone wondering, here's an article with some great insight into what goes on behind the scenes in shows like this. Give it a read, especially the portion about how owners are coached by the production on how they're supposed to act when the car is revealed to them. Then re-watch the big reveal here knowing what people are told and you'll see just how funny Chad's response is...

Behind the scenes of "Pimp my Ride."
    It really isn't fair to say every show does business exactly the way Pimp my ride did but you wouldn't be far off the mark either. You have to remember the car is a necessary if incidental part. The ticking clock, the drama, the entertainment is what it is all about. As for the coaching, when you are dealing with people that have no acting experience (and even ones that do) there is a place for it but I agree much of it is scripted and more than just "coached". Enjoy the show for what it is, not much.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast