FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cooling Hose Clamp Torque?

My VIN:    3294

Question Cooling Hose Clamp Torque?

I'm right in the middle of putting all of my new hoses in the car, using the "Complete Hose Kit" I bought from DMCH back in December. I seem to be having an issue with getting the clamps tight. Not really sure how tight is "too tight". When I took the original ones off the car they were really "on there", but these new clamps that came with the kit seem to slip when I crank down on them. It's like the screw is slipping and stripping the hole out in the clamp. I start tightening up on the clamp, and when I get it to the point where I want to snug it up tight it just "pops" and goes back to being loose. I really don't want to deal with leaks once I get it all put back together.

I bought John Hervey's water pump kit and the clamps that came with his kit gave me no trouble at all. Did I get a bad batch of clamps or am I trying to get them tighter than necessary?
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    03572

I use ABA hose clamps most of which use 40 in/lbs for full clamp pressure. The following has a chart of torque for their clamps. I know cheap clamps can not use those torques.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/abaprice.html
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi there,

I'm doing the exact same thing. The clamps that I got in my DMCH complete kit were Norma Clamps. I searched Norma clamp torque and got a very helpful PDF chart of information and torque values.

http://www.normagroup.com/norma.nsf/res/NORMACLAMP+TORRO.pdf/$file/NORMACLAMP+TORRO.pdf

You'll want an inch pound wrench and I found this conversion chart helpful:

http://www.thetoolhut.com/Torque-Con...ch-Pounds.html

It looks like the recommended tightening value is not too far under the fracture torque. Eg 3+0.5 Nm assembly vs 4.5 Nm fracture for the "Torro" 9 W3-W5

Aside from the helpful people on this forum, here are my 3 best friends when it comes to this car:

image.jpg

Last edited by DMC-81; 05-06-2015 at 09:14 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Yes - if you are occasionally stripping the clamps, you are going just over too tight.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Yes - if you are occasionally stripping the clamps, you are going just over too tight.
    image.jpg

I understand that these hi torque clamps are quite good too.

I've only used them a couple of times, not on the DeLorean as yet, but they tightened up really nicely, you need to buy the right size as they're not quite as flexible as standard hose clips.

Nothing more annoying than a slipping hose clip when you over torque then your forever wondering if it is indeed tight enough for a good seal.

J