FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some problems after SPEC I install

My VIN:    Early

Some problems after SPEC I install

Today, I just finished installing the new eagle starter and SPEC I exhaust. Well, I first started the car and let it run. I noticed some smoke and a burning smell from the exhaust pipes. As I let the car warm up, I saw a load of sparks, and the car shut off. I also saw smoke, and immediately inspected the area. However, when I got to the engine compartment, the bundle of wires to the starter was on fire. I immediately put out the flame and disconnected the battery. Tomorrow, I will inspect the area more, but I believe the starter wires burned and grounded to the manifold thus sparking a flame.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    16409

After installing the headers, you need to make sure all the starter/alternator wiring are properly routed. I made that mistake too. While not as violent as you described, I had some sparking too. I made sure all the wires had enough distance away from the headers. I have an 83, so our wiring harness are a bit different. Good luck with your job ahead.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

I had to run the harnesses a certain way because they are too short, but I believe I can use some wire harness sleeves and header tape to keep the wires safe. I stopped working after that happened because you don't exactly feel excited seeing your Delorean on fire.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Yea, I would say you have some "problems". You must inspect the wiring to make sure you found all of the burnt stuff. All the way to the battery AND the alternator. The battery and alternator should be tested, you may have damaged them. The battery should be recharged. Wiring should be kept at least 2" in all directions away from exhaust pipes. Even better you should sleeve the wires with heat-resistant covering and it should be fastened securely so they can't move close to the exhaust. Even better if you can re-route so they don't go near anything hot. Any wire showing heat damage should be cut out and replaced. Finally inspect the whole area for any other damage like cooling system hoses, brake lines, fiberglass, etc. If you used a fire extinguisher clean up the mess as best as you can.
    David Teitelbaum

I did check all the wiring. The only wire that was burnt is the smaller red wire going to the fiberglass near the coil and harness connectors.
    Attached Images

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I did check all the wiring. The only wire that was burnt is the smaller red wire going to the fiberglass near the coil and harness connectors.
    Heh. Probably the one wire there that you can live without. It's only used to jump start the car, which you can do from the battery as well.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

That is good to know, and I'll probably just leave the wire off and on my shelf. Another question, is a new SPEC exhaust supposed to smoke white on its first run?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    That is good to know, and I'll probably just leave the wire off and on my shelf. Another question, is a new SPEC exhaust supposed to smoke white on its first run?
    I can't speak specifically about the spec 1 but generally exhaust pipe has a coating of oil on it to keep it from getting rusty before it is sold. Typical to have to burn it off the first time you get it hot.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5628

Alexander's spec 1 did smoke white when it ran the first time. It's typical due to the above mentioned burn off of oil.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Smoke is normal on first start up. This is due to the manufacturing process of cutting, mandrel bending etc. Starter wire orientation is crucial on this. As always please don't hesitate to contact directly with any installation issues.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast