FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some problems after SPEC I install

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Smoke is normal on first start up. This is due to the manufacturing process of cutting, mandrel bending etc. Starter wire orientation is crucial on this. As always please don't hesitate to contact directly with any installation issues.
    I fixed the orientation of wires completely. I rerouted the large red wire near the transmission and the engine harness near the oil filter. Both wires are about 4" away from the manifold now.

-Rodolfo
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    5875

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOI)

Rubber Exhaust Mounts

I know Josh has his hands full with personal matters right now, so figured I'd post this here...

I'm starting to install my DPI SPEC I exhaust and noticed I don't have the rubber exhaust mounts (P/N 105148} to accept the muffler studs. For those who bought DPI's set-up, did your kit come with these? My car was previously straight-piped so I don't have the old ones either.
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

Ontario Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates
    www.YOMplates.ca

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by 5875 View Post
    I know Josh has his hands full with personal matters right now, so figured I'd post this here...

I'm starting to install my DPI SPEC I exhaust and noticed I don't have the rubber exhaust mounts (P/N 105148} to accept the muffler studs. For those who bought DPI's set-up, did your kit come with these? My car was previously straight-piped so I don't have the old ones either.
    On my SPEC I, I had to reuse the original ones. You need to order two new ones from DMCH if your car doesn't have the original exhaust.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    On my SPEC I, I had to reuse the original ones. You need to order two new ones from DMCH if your car doesn't have the original exhaust.
    Okay thanks. Just didn't want to order them from DMC if they were forgotten in the kit. Everything else in the kit has been top-notch and easy to install. It's an awesome system!
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

www.YOMplates.ca

My VIN:    16409

Those mounting bushings used to around $10, now they are over $30 each. Maybe you can find some nice used ones.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Those mounting bushings used to around $10, now they are over $30 each. Maybe you can find some nice used ones.
    Yeah saw the $30 and thought - yikes! I guess that supply is nearing the end at DMCH.

On another note, anyone know the torque spec on the header bolts/nuts (P/N 102441)? I've looked everywhere in this forum, my workshop manual and torque specs on wiki, but it doesn't have it listed anywhere. Looking at the torque specs for muffler support brackets onto the engine block for M8 x13, it has NM @ 22 / Ft.Lb. @ 16. I'm thinking with an M5 bolt/nut it would need to be a bit lower than that. Thoughts?
    Eric

www.YOMplates.ca

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I just finished permanently installing the same system and I didn't use a torque, I just used "feel" rather. It would be impossible for me to get a torque wrench in there with all the crap I have on my engine in the way. I do have a book somewhere that has the torques I can post when I get home and look at it.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Sorry for the delay - one of my books says 13ft/lbs torque for the cylinder head/exhaust manifold nuts. The system does not come with the bushings nor manifold to cylinder head gaskets. I had a pair of new gaskets on my shelf from years ago that I used but it you don't have any - order them with the system.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Sorry for the delay - one of my books says 13ft/lbs torque for the cylinder head/exhaust manifold nuts. The system does not come with the bushings nor manifold to cylinder head gaskets. I had a pair of new gaskets on my shelf from years ago that I used but it you don't have any - order them with the system.
    Thanks for the torque spec. The gaskets came in the kit, so I'm good to go!
    Eric

www.YOMplates.ca

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2