FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Left Indicator on when Headlights on. Any ideas?

My VIN:    3060

Left Indicator on when Headlights on. Any ideas?

When my headlights are on, my left indicator is on solid as well. You can see it in the attached picture. The left indicator light on the instrument panel is on also (but dimmer than when you have the blinker on). I have replaced all my lights with LEDs if that makes a difference.

Any ideas on what could be keeping this on?

Edit*: I guess I meant when the parking lights are on, not necessarily when the headlights themselves are on.

IMG_3215.jpg

My VIN:    03572

I assume it worked fine before you installed the LEDs?

Were the side lights set up to blink with the turn signals?

You may just have a bad rear light circuit board.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

LEDs have been in since last year. I replaced both tail light boards with DMCs new ones about 2 months ago and didn't notice it then. Blinkers work fine when activated. The only issue that I can tie to it is the front blinker on that side is finnicky with the LED bulb in it. It wouldn't light at all so I bought a new bulb and found out the bulb has to be sitting just right to make contact. So I was delicate, got it seated and put the front back together. Would the front blinker socket cause this if it had a bad connection?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    LEDs have been in since last year. I replaced both tail light boards with DMCs new ones about 2 months ago and didn't notice it then. Blinkers work fine when activated. The only issue that I can tie to it is the front blinker on that side is finnicky with the LED bulb in it. It wouldn't light at all so I bought a new bulb and found out the bulb has to be sitting just right to make contact. So I was delicate, got it seated and put the front back together. Would the front blinker socket cause this if it had a bad connection?
    I guess if that front lamp is shorting the two pins together (running light and turn signal) it would also affect the rear turn signal. Maybe that short is internal in one of your LED bulbs.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I guess if that front lamp is shorting the two pins together (running light and turn signal) it would also affect the rear turn signal. Maybe that short is internal in one of your LED bulbs.
    If you have a bad ground the current could be "backing up" into the turn signal circuit. Make sure all of your grounds are good. There could also be a problem with the board. Make sure you have not put a double-filiment bulb in a single filiment socket or vice-versa.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5312

An easy way to test if its the bulbs shorted, swap the bulbs to the other board on the other side.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I agree with David, But the offset height of the 1/4 turn locking pins should prevent cross installing the wrong type bulb. 1157 (offset pins) 1156 (equal pins) Not that a brute couldn't force things.

I question the Front socket condition. These are famous for corrosion which leads to poor grounding and back feeding. Remove the front bulb to see if the rear signal goes out. This should help you isolate the issue to front or back.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I agree with David, But the offset height of the 1/4 turn locking pins should prevent cross installing the wrong type bulb. 1157 (offset pins) 1156 (equal pins) Not that a brute couldn't force things.

I question the Front socket condition. These are famous for corrosion which leads to poor grounding and back feeding. Remove the front bulb to see if the rear signal goes out. This should help you isolate the issue to front or back.
    You are right, there is an offset pin to prevent mixing up single and double filiment bulbs but all too often it happens. The sockets of the bulbs is brass and it is relatively soft and the socket on the board is just pressed steel. It doesn't take all that much to force the wrong bulb into the wrong socket. Something I always check for. Just like I always check to make sure the right size fuse is in the correct spot. Again, all too often a fuse blows and a PO will stick in whatever is handy.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6235

On another car I had I placed the wrong bulb into the turn signal socket( even though it fit) and it caused the brake lights to stay on as though I had the brakes pressed while driving I would check the new bulb or led socket first.

Thanks, guys, for the ideas. It will be a few weeks before I have time to really get into diagnosing this issue. I will update this thread when I find out what the problem was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast