FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Front end shakes Bad when braking

My VIN:    2723

Front end shakes Bad when braking

I am no mechanic...that being said if I go over 40mph and try to stop it feels like car is gonna fall apart.
    Now it had an alignment last year...but now I can see it is off big time, I assume because of the shaking. Parked with the wheel straight the drivers side tire is straight while the pass. tire look like its ready to turn.
    The ball joints seemed fine and the brakes are grabbing, the rack and pinion was looked at and tie rod ends are new and brake pads are new.
    So do you guys think the rotors are warped?
    If so can they be turned or should I just buy new? Also are there specs for turning the rotors anywhere? If new how hard are they for someone who has never done them to replace?
    Sorry for the bombarding of questions...
    mike
    Last edited by howlingwind13; 05-14-2015 at 06:32 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by howlingwind13 View Post
    I am no mechanic...that being said if I go over 40mph and try to stop it feels like car is gonna fall apart.
    Now it had an alignment last year...but now I can see it is off big time, I assume because of the shaking. Parked with the wheel straight the drivers side tire is straight while the pass. tire look like its ready to turn.
    The ball joints seemed fine and the brakes are grabbing, the rack and pinion was looked at and tie rod ends are new and brake pads are new.
    If so can they be turned or should I just buy new? Also are there specs for turning the rotors anywhere? If new how hard are they for someone who has never done them to replace?
    mike
    The rotors should be checked but you probably have something loose in the front suspension/steering systems. Get the car up on a lift and have it looked at right away.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi there,

I had my rear rotors turned and the hubs bead blasted pretty reasonably, and the result were great. The minimum thickness should be stamped on the rotor. I assume the same goes for the front, but I'll defer to others who have done so. If you are close to the minimum or they are warped badly, you probably want new ones.

I had some difficulty finding someone who still turns them, but I asked around the auto parts stores, and they gave me a couple of names.

Good luck with your repair.

Attached Images
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Minimum is stamped on the rotors as 11.7mm. AKA .460 inches

Same for front and rear.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    Custodian of 5307

Quote Originally Posted by howlingwind13 View Post
    mike
    if truely parked straight and one wheel looks turned #1 quit driving

forget about your brakes

sounds like you have bad ball joint or tie rods came loose or bent ...you could have hit a few "potholes" since the alignment

easy test
    jack up front end grab wheel from 12 to 6 oclock... rock it is it loose? check ball joint

also do same while holding at 3 and 9 oclock is it loose? check tie rod or steering rack
    1988 3.2 Ferrari Mondial