FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 2203 "barn find"

My VIN:    4095 Still going w 200k plus miles. 4815 Back on the road again.

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinDMC View Post
    Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

I spoke with John Hervey on the phone earlier today. He thinks my fuel distributor and WUR are bad. How can I check their function. Can they cause my car to not want to idle?

Thanks,
    Jayce
    Yes they can. John can test them and rebuild the fuel distributor if necessary. I have my old ones from when I converted to Megasquirt, but they have not been used in three years.
    I feel more like I do now than when I first got here.

Jayce, nice job so far. I'm in the same boat as you but mine has been in a barn since 1989 or 1990. I was thinking of just sending my entire set up to John and have him rebuild and recondition the whole k jet system.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinDMC View Post
    Here's some more photos 2203.

Attachment 34853
    I can't tell if it's just the picture, but it looks like your car has one of the very early-style "fuzzy" (flocked) coin trays. If that is in fact what it is, it makes you wonder if a previous owner added that, or if somehow the car came from the factory with it. DMCL was known to 'Frankenstein' these cars- for instance, sometimes good parts were cannibalized from cars which were set aside for rework due to production flaws, etc.
    Louie Golden

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Interesting you should point that out. My car has an odd mix of some early and later production characteristics. It has textured pontoons which I believe to only be on the first 500-700 ish cars? Is that correct? It also has the rear mounted power antenna, but no evidence of a front fender mounted antenna and I believe the non-antenna windshield is original as well. Of course it does have the flapped/grooved hood which is correct for its VIN range. There were a few other oddities that I cant remember at the moment. I highly doubt the original owner went to the trouble to change around those aspects of the car. They didn't seem to care about the car very much. I need to look at the frame number and the VIN written on the doors. I do know however it visited PJ Grady sometime in the early 90s. It has a sticker in the driver's side door jamb.

This weekend one of my dad's professional mechanic friends is going to help us get it idling correctly and have a look at the brakes. If all goes as planned, my car may be back on the road very soon. How cool would it be for it's first time back on the road to be October 21st?

More updates on 2203

Some of you may have seen my other topic on the fuel distributor issues, after replacing the WUR and taking apart the fuel distributor, 2203 now starts and runs on every crank. Regardless if its hot or cold. Recently I had the brake calipers rebuilt and the rotors turned with the help of my dad and one of his mechanic friends. I also had to acquire a new driver's side hub carrier because the old one broke when trying to remove the stuck lower link bolt. Hopefully over Thanksgiving break we'll be able to reinstall the braking equipment and the new hub carrier. Also planning on flushing the cooling system and replacing the thermostat, otterstat, and engine coolant hoses. Maybe we'll get around to finally changing the oil and ATF as well.

2203 is back on the road!

2203 is back! Here's the video of her first drive in 20 years!
    https://www.facebook.com/jayce.delke...44049583458837

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Congrats!
    So, How was the test drive and what were your impressions of it?

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Test drive went well. My brakes got soft after a while and soon found out that the master cylinder reservoir cap isn't sealing properly. It sucks in air. My auto trans shifts well, so that's one less thing to repair. The car shakes and rattles awfully. Gotta look into that. My steering column bushing is completely shot, shakes like crazy.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

sounds like you need suspension reworked...mine needs that too..specially if its still got the factory original shocks n bushings n stuff...lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    sounds like you need suspension reworked...mine needs that too..specially if its still got the factory original shocks n bushings n stuff...lol
    If the car still has the same tires it spent 20 years sitting on, that would mean the rubber is old and very hard, and the tires would also have horrific flat spots. Hard rubber + flat spots = bad shaking.
    Louie Golden

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast