FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Dent on door from the inside out - getting worse - from window motor

My VIN:    3886

Club(s):   (DMA)

Dent on door from the inside out - getting worse - from window motor

My latest quandary - I just had the window motors replaced with new A1 motors and when I got the car back, there was a new dent from the inside out on the driver's side door (right near the window motor). So I did some digging and found that the dent is from the new window motor (I think it is a rivet) pushing on the stainless. So every time you close the door, it pushes the dent out farther. (and that explains why the dent is getting worse.) I haven't seen it on the passenger side door yet, but that door has only been opened once or twice.

The mechanic told me that this is a known problem with these replacement motors and that most people don't really notice or care about the dent. And other than a full motor redesign, there is nothing that can be done. Unfortunately for me (and my wife), I have trouble accepting NO for an answer, as I always think there has to be a solution.

Has anyone run into this where the motor causes dents in the door? If so, any suggestions? Shift the motor mounting slightly? Put some type of pad in between the motor and the door? So far, I've been told to reach up higher and close the door differently, as that will minimize the crashing of the motor against the door.

Thanks in advance.

tony c

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by acaciolo View Post
    My latest quandary - I just had the window motors replaced with new A1 motors and when I got the car back, there was a new dent from the inside out on the driver's side door (right near the window motor). So I did some digging and found that the dent is from the new window motor (I think it is a rivet) pushing on the stainless. So every time you close the door, it pushes the dent out farther. (and that explains why the dent is getting worse.) I haven't seen it on the passenger side door yet, but that door has only been opened once or twice.

The mechanic told me that this is a known problem with these replacement motors and that most people don't really notice or care about the dent. And other than a full motor redesign, there is nothing that can be done. Unfortunately for me (and my wife), I have trouble accepting NO for an answer, as I always think there has to be a solution.

Has anyone run into this where the motor causes dents in the door? If so, any suggestions? Shift the motor mounting slightly? Put some type of pad in between the motor and the door? So far, I've been told to reach up higher and close the door differently, as that will minimize the crashing of the motor against the door.

Thanks in advance.

tony c
    Means he installed it wrong. It should not be against the door panel. Yes, it's a known problem, but I'd call it a known installation problem.

We install lots of them and the doors are not dented. Mike also takes that dent out of doors when they come in that way.

Shift the motor inside the door.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thanks Dave. I was surprised when I was told that there was no way to fix this. Your solution and answer is exactly what I was hoping for. Looks like 2 extra smacks in the head for my mechanic and his assistant! I'll be opening up the doors next weekend to adjust them. And then on to fix the dent....

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I have the same issue. How would I get about taking this dent out after shifting the motor?
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by vps3922 View Post
    I have the same issue. How would I get about taking this dent out after shifting the motor?
    Find a stainless repair guy. Don't just hit it with a hammer, that won't fix it and will make the repair harder later.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Here is my growing dent. I am glad to hear that it is just an installation problem, but upset that I got a dent because of it. I am not going to open or close the passenger door until we fix that one. The motor location will be fixed next week, and hopefully I can get the dent fixed also.

Lesson learned.

dent.jpg

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Its not that bad. Relaxing the motor will take most of the tension off the sheet metal. Stop using until someone fixes it.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Josh,

thanks, and thanks in advance for all the future help!

tony

Dave S. and Josh,

you guys were correct. It absolutely was an installation problem. Not only was the motor jammed up against the door, but the mechanic actually had the motor wiring harness pinched between the motor and the door skin. So I guess seeing the dent was good in a way, as that it alerted met o what would have been a bigger problem in the future. Although it was a pain to undo the installation and redo it correctly, the problem is now solved on both door. Next on the list is to have Chris N. take care of the dent's caused.

Ps...more on this later, but huge thanks to Josh from DPI who made a "house call" to help me solve these and other problems.

Attached Images