FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How about daytime running lights?

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

How about daytime running lights?

For safety reason, I am thinking about adding DRL to mine without spending too much money.

One option is to add LED stripes around headlights or grill area. But I am afraid that it might make the car look too cheap or tacky.

Second option is to make the front amber indicator lights to stay on when car is on and still function as indicator lights. I would like to convert those lights to LEDs if I can. Not sure how to wire for this. I already have converted most of my lights to LEDs except indicator lights.

Third option is to keep high beam headlights to stay on. Those will have to go off when headlights switch is on. Again, could be another complicated wiring set up.

Forth option and might be the easiest one is to keep the low beams to stay on all the time.

I would appreciate if you can share your ideas and suggestions.
    Thanks

My VIN:    05141

I have been thinking about that too.
    The amber lights seems to be a good option.They can switch of when blinking.

Not easy to make and yet I think it adds to safety, give a modern look, and I think many owners would be interested if it is fairly prised and one does not have to be an electric genius to install.

Jan

Steering with power

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Before adding loads that will run continuously consider the electrical system as a whole. At the very least add relays to route the current around the headlight switch. Adding relays also has the benefit of being able to control the headlights by other means besides the headlight switch so if the motor isn't running the headlights will shut off for instance.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I'd been thinking about LED strips around the headlights too, but I'm worried they'll look dated in a few years when everone has moved on to laser headlights or something.

I also noticed that modern cars turn off the running light on the side that the turn signal is blinking on. It makes it feel like the running light is broken to me, but I think it is done to make it more clear that the blinker is on.

For my car, I just leave the headlights on all the time. I modified the switch wiring so that they turn off with the ignition so is not forget them on.

-- Joe

Have you thought about a set of angel eye housings? I'm going with Octane Lighting H4 housings soon, which have built-in RGB SMD LED's in a rectangle around the lens. Then it's just a matter of running a wire to an ACC circuit, grounding it somewhere, and you're all set. Cost about $100 plus shipping on eBay, or you can get an even cheaper pair that only has one color.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

I installed a Hamsar 45070 DRL module on my DeLorean for daytime running lights. Works pretty well too! It runs the low beams only at 80% power during daylight and a sensor installed on the dash will turn on all the lights (parking and headlights) when it gets dark enough. I rarely touch the headlight switch. I installed it with a 3 pole double throw relay - mostly for isolation purposes. You could connect the module directly to the headlight and parking light circuit as shown in the instructions, but with the relay if the module ever fails, all I have to do is unplug the relay to get my original lighting setup back. Plus, the way they show in their instructions, they have you connect up the white wire before the dip switch for the headlights and I didn't like that. I also use a dummy switch on the center console to turn off the DRL system if I ever needed to. Here is the wiring schematic for the relay:

DRL Relays.jpg

For the DRL module:
    RED - constant 12V
    WHITE - feed to relay for low beam 80% illumination
    YELLOW - feed to relay for coil and for parking lights (via wings-a-light relay)
    GREEN - switched 12V
    BLACK - ground (not shown)
    BLUE - delay switch (not shown)

A separate power wire feeds to the relay to turn the headlights on at 100%

Note about the model number - the model number on the DRL module is 45070, the model number in the instruction sheet is 70991. Not sure why there are two different model numbers but I would assume they are identical in function. A quick search shows the 45070 (or 70991) is no longer available. Not sure what the replacement model could be.

My VIN:    6585

I gotta honestly ask: Why does anyone want DRLs? They don't actually offer any sort of safety benefit. Even the NHTSA with their own studies have concluded that they offer absolutely no benefits whatsoever.

With all of the additional laws for safety features that government regulators are willing to impose at the drop of a hat, it speaks volumes when they actually say "no" to something. In fact, they make things much more dangerous for other drivers. From high-intensity beams that blind other drivers (especially in the desert where heat refracts light of the road surface and dazzles oncoming drivers), to drivers that start their cars at night and since they see their headlights "on", they fail to turn on their clearance lights and reduce visibility to other cars.

I mean, I get why GM and other manufacturers push them as "mandatory" or worse yet "safety" equipment on cars: They're forcing you to buy an additional equipment that they place a mark up onto, thus increasing profit on each car sold. Same with people that offer aftermarket conversion kits.

I mean, it's your car and all. However you choose to customize it should be up to you. But please, don't be lulled into a false sense of security that you're safer by having these things installed. If you want a proven safety feature that is proven to prevent an accident install a CHMSL, or 3rd brake light to keep you safe.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Funny - I disconnect the DRLs on my modern cars if at all possible. I just don't like the look. The only one that I have not been able to do that on is my Odyssey, it's a standalone fuse but then an even more annoying dash light comes on.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    I gotta honestly ask: Why does anyone want DRLs?
    Because laws? Here in Ohio, it's state law to have some sort of headlights on when your wipers are used (i.e. when it's raining or snowing). If it's a light rain, and I'm driving in it, I'd much rather use DRL's than actual headlights. Back when I had my 97 Blazer, I used to turn just the parking lights on whenever it was dawn/duck/gloomy/etc. and thus have much dimmer headlights that wouldn't blind drivers. The assumption that someone simply wouldn't noti7ce that their headlight output is dim and they had no taillights at night is farfetched to say the least. i can't imagine anyone being that oblivious without someone telling them along the way that they're idiots, whether it's a cop or their dealership/mechanic that doesn't find anything wrong with them. As far as improved visibility, I'm quite doubtful that DRL's have zero effect, but will agree that in some circumstances (broad daylight, for example), they're a moot point.

But more to the point, my angel eyes were hooked up to a switch, rather than the ACC circuit, so I could turn them off at will. This is a setup I'd recommend so you have complete control over them (car shows, parades, etc.)

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    I gotta honestly ask: Why does anyone want DRLs? They don't actually offer any sort of safety benefit. Even the NHTSA with their own studies have concluded that they offer absolutely no benefits whatsoever.

With all of the additional laws for safety features that government regulators are willing to impose at the drop of a hat, it speaks volumes when they actually say "no" to something. In fact, they make things much more dangerous for other drivers. From high-intensity beams that blind other drivers (especially in the desert where heat refracts light of the road surface and dazzles oncoming drivers), to drivers that start their cars at night and since they see their headlights "on", they fail to turn on their clearance lights and reduce visibility to other cars.

I mean, I get why GM and other manufacturers push them as "mandatory" or worse yet "safety" equipment on cars: They're forcing you to buy an additional equipment that they place a mark up onto, thus increasing profit on each car sold. Same with people that offer aftermarket conversion kits.

I mean, it's your car and all. However you choose to customize it should be up to you. But please, don't be lulled into a false sense of security that you're safer by having these things installed. If you want a proven safety feature that is proven to prevent an accident install a CHMSL, or 3rd brake light to keep you safe.
    I'll have to disagree with thes studies, because I find they do help cars stand out and especially in the rain.
    Barry

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast