FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 LastLast

Thread: VIN 4728 Running Resto

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I think you sent me a set of allen head bolts as well since you had extra during your rebuild. I haven't gotten around to installing them...

In general, split lock washers do almost nothing to prevent fasteners from loosening up so I wouldn't bother with those. In this case I'd probably go with some blue loctite instead.

If I'm remembering correctly the allen head bolts were phosphate and oil coated which may have contributed the the bolts loosening up. Before you reinstall them you could hit them with a shot of brake parts cleaner to remove the oil. If you don't want them to rust over you can spray just the heads with some matte finish black paint to keep them looking nice.

Thanks Mark, I totally forgot I sent those...lol.

I think you're right on with that assessment, I'm going back in for a "do-over" soon.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    In general, split lock washers do almost nothing to prevent fasteners from loosening up so I wouldn't bother with those. In this case I'd probably go with some blue loctite instead.
    +1 on the Loctite

Actually, split lock washers don't act like flat washers. Flat washers are used to evenly distribute the tightening force (usually over an area greater than the nut or bolt head)...or for spacing. Split lock washers are used to create tension to prevent loosening due to vibrations. Note they spiral in the opposite direction of the threads for a better bite to prevent turning too. (Toothed lock washers are all about the bite...)
    Make sure you use washers of the same grade as the nut/bolt. OEM

=======

Rich needs to quit re-engineering and concentrate his Dwi Huryeo Chagi or
    burning the roads up.

Do you guys hear some kind of echo in here?

My VIN:    03572

I wonder if that is purpose of the metal plates. Maybe they are a softer material so the split lock washer can bit into it. I did see when I removed mine the plates did have the bite of the lock washer so I flipped them over when I installed the new bolts.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yes. I mentioned that on the other site when Rich mentioned it. Sometimes they are used to distribute the tightening force over a greater area (and convenience over several flat washers etc.), but mostly where the other metal is too soft OR to hard. They want them to bite, in the opposite direction of the threads....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ~snip~

Rich needs to quit re-engineering and concentrate his Dwi Huryeo Chagi or [/COLOR]burning the roads up.

Do you guys hear some kind of echo in here?
    I just got back from burnin' up some roads.

I went for a test drive tonight after installing anti-vibration Borgeson joints.

I'm downloading my dash cam videos now; just as I got to my street, a fox pup ran out in front of me. It's about the size of a rabbit.

This past week the temps where I live were below zero, this weekend it's 50+ degrees, next week forecasted temps are double-digits below zero. I started 4728 and also uncovered it to let it "breathe" a while.

This winter I'm making a to-do list of things I want to complete before listing it for sale.

I came inside for a coffee break, then headed to the garage to continue with 4519's fuel system in preparation for "first fire."

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

They say the first fire is the most special of all.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I need to connect another "lighter socket" to power a dash cam...where can I connect to existing wiring without making a mess?

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    Hey Rich, did you ever get an answer on this?

I was just catching-up on a few threads and saw it. Someone else recently asked about whether anyone was still doing forum stuff on here. There's likely a bunch of different, individual reasons why, but yea, I think it has gotten quiet here. And not just recently.

Anywho, have a look at the second pic in this post: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post165448

Your manual trans car will still have the wiring to power the little bulb that's lights up the PRND21 thing on the automatics. We all got the same wiring harness, so in a manual trans car, that powered wire will just be wrapped up and tucked off to the side. That's the one I would use if I were you for an extra accessories outlet.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Thanks Jonathan, great info!

I bought something similar to this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/202848010921?...yABEgI11_D_BwE

I do like the idea of using that wire....I'm sure I'll do something with it in the future.

I'm going to start organizing the to-do list I have for 4728. There are some items I want to complete before listing for sale, so I'm hoping to have time to do that while I continue to drive it this season.

I'm also trying to decide whether or not to consider the carb conversion. I can convert it back if necessary, but I've also been seeing more interest in carb conversions so I really don't know if it matters on a running/driving DeLorean. If a potential buyer comes for a test-drive, I can also have them drive 4519 for comparison. 4728 carbed with headers can out-perform [stock] 4519 all day.

I was hoping to take my time working on 4519 while driving 4728, but my wife is pumping my ego saying she knows I can accomplish the mission this year.....maybe she really wants to park her car in the garage -lol.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 02-09-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 LastLast