FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 4728 Running Resto

My VIN:    4519

There's peeled epoxy partway down the center frame rail where the A/C hoses are. I'd like to clean & paint those areas but it's pretty tight working in there.

Any thoughts? I'm half-considering removing the A/C hoses, but at a glance that looks like it could be a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I'm half-considering removing the A/C hoses, but at a glance that looks like it could be a PITA.
    I got a good look at the hoses, I totally don't want to pull them out "from end to end." NightFlyer Josh mentioned I might be able to move the tub a bit without a total frame-off, anybody here have any luck with something like that? I currently have the car on jackstands at the lift points, I'm wondering if I should try loosening the body bolts in the interior & see if things "open up" a bit.

100_4543.jpg

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I got a good look at the hoses, I totally don't want to pull them out "from end to end." NightFlyer Josh mentioned I might be able to move the tub a bit without a total frame-off, anybody here have any luck with something like that? I currently have the car on jackstands at the lift points, I'm wondering if I should try loosening the body bolts in the interior & see if things "open up" a bit.
    Removing them is easy. Cut off one end. If you go to the trouble of removing them, don't put the old ones back in.

It's putting them back in that's the trick. But yes, they can be installed (with some effort) without taking the body off the frame.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Removing them is easy. Cut off one end. If you go to the trouble of removing them, don't put the old ones back in.

It's putting them back in that's the trick. But yes, they can be installed (with some effort) without taking the body off the frame.
    Thanks Dave,

I was hoping to just get them out of the way enough to clean the peeled epoxy from that area. If absolutely necessary I'll pull 'em out; I'd need to get a special tool to put the ends on the new hose, right?

BTW, my frame is solid all the way....just peeled epoxy.

Also BTW, I sidelined diagnosing that tapping noise. I'm soaking the manifold stud nuts...going to silence the exhaust noise so I only have one noise when trying to troubleshoot it.

Tonight I got a closer look at the A/C hoses; I'm going to think on it for a few days, then decide what to do.

The update on my project that I feel is highly relevant (possibly most relevant) is:

I'm mostly caught up on homeowner responsibilities, I have a decent amount of momentum going, and I'm feeling exceptionally well-motivated. I've been on a pretty good schedule, and have been able to get in a few days a week (working on my car.)

-After looking closer at the A/C hoses, I removed the exhaust system in preparation for the exhaust manifold gasket job. I've been spraying the studs frequently, and now the driver's side is very well exposed so I can go at it with a torch.

-I also removed the steering shaft; preparing for a new steering column bushing and rack removal.

I'm kinda "all over the place" with this project, but I like to have several things going at once....it keeps me from "burning out," and I sty motivated with the small successes of progress made on multiple items. I'd normally consider it inefficient, but the motivation factor seems to have a bigger ROI on the back end.

100_4580.jpg 100_4581.jpg

Got the driver's side exhaust manifold off tonight; it had previously been removed, so I was able to get the studs out without using a torch (they all came out with the nuts.)
    Hopefully the passenger side will come apart easily too, but I'm not yet sure if it's been apart before.

100_4622.jpg100_4626.jpg

I also removed the A/C hoses so I could better access the frame to remove the peeled epoxy.

I also removed the A/C hoses so I could better access the frame to remove the peeled epoxy.
    100_4648.jpg100_4649.jpg100_4651.jpg

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Making good progress it seems. You're going a little deeper than me in restoration. Some things I know I'll have done at DMCNW, just
    cause I'm not real confident in my mechanicness...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Making good progress it seems. You're going a little deeper than me in restoration. Some things I know I'll have done at DMCNW, just
    cause I'm not real confident in my mechanicness...hehe.
    Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to maintain the momentum through the Winter and be ready to roll in the Spring.

When I bought my first DeLorean in '13, I was the same as you but after working on several different smaller projects I developed more confidence. You're fortunate to have DMC backup nearby....enjoy!

This morning I finished removing the passenger side manifold.

Yesterday I was easily able to remove all but one stud & one stud w/nut without heat, this morning I used a MAPP gas torch on the nut and was able to remove it. I really lucked out; the manifolds have obviously been off so almost all the studs easily came out (without heat.)

I have two studs to remove; since I know they've likely been out before, I'll let them soak and try them with a double-nut. If this was a first time removal, I would get a stud extractor & not take chances.

100_4674.jpg 100_4677.jpg

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast