Posting my resto blog to both forums, 'cause sometimes I feel like a nut...sometimes I don't!

VIN 4728 arrived on 3-27-15. It stayed in my driveway until 5-1-15 while waiting for VIN 10372 to be picked up and transported to it's new owner (*sniff*.)

While parked in the driveway, I cleaned the exterior, changed the oil, and replaced the choke coil (it has a carb conversion....might keep it, go back to stock, or engine swap.) The car would start, run, and drive, but developed an awful rapping noise under the passenger side valve cover. For the rest of the time that it was parked in my driveway I avoided starting it, only cleaned & assessed it.

P3290238.jpg P3290239.jpg

I learned a lot about owning/restoring a DeLorean in the year that I owned 10372, and learned the approach that works for me. I make a spreadsheet to track costs, progress, and maintain a prioritized to-do list. For 4728 I have 3 lists I'll work on simultaneously to reach my goal of having it on the road for short drives before snow season this year:

Get it safely running/driving

Fuel System
Carburetor adjustment/fine tune running
Valve adjustment
Replace Cooling System Hoses
Rebuild Calipers
Replace Master Brake Cylinder
Replace Belts
Replace Plug Wires
Replace Oil Sender
Check all grounding points following Bill's diagram
Exhaust Manifold Gasket
Oil change

Cosmetics to stay motivated

Repair/Paint Rear Facsia
Paint Sunshade Louvre, Black Trim & Side Mirrors
Clean/Shampoo Carpets, detail interior
Front & Rear Headliners
Convex Side Mirrors
Restore Seats
Door Seals
Steering Column Bushing
LED's
Clean & Paint Frame and Closing Plate
Modify pull-straps to later VIN style
Replace Cargo Net Bungee

While I'm in there

Brake Booster clean & paint
Dynamat
Fix Tail Lights
Run speaker wire for future use

Since I want all items checked off before the car leaves my garage, my approach is to disassemble everything necessary and place part orders as I determine what I need. I'll have what I need on hand for multiple projects, so if I get stuck needing something for one project I can hop to a different project while waiting for additional parts/materials (or paint to dry.)

Here's the current status:

-Car on stands
-All wheels off
-Driver's side front caliper removed (frozen piston.)
-Closing plate removed
-Rear fascia removed & disassembled
-Headliners removed
-Seats removed
-Passenger side valve cover removed
-Interior vacuumed
-Parts on hand, part orders pending