FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painting engine parts

Painting engine parts

Since I'm doing the cooling system and the intake and water pump are getting removed, I'm thinking of painting some engine parts (mostly the intake manifold and valve covers).
    For those of you who PAINTED their engine parts themselves (not powder coated) and have had good luck with the paint sticking, what was your prep process and which products did you use?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My VIN:    03572

I wire brushed everything. Use one in your drill and the dremal for tight area. I just brushed on Rust-o-leam aluminum paint. It does not peal of but a solvent will soften it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I used Rustoleum paint on my valve covers about 5 or 6 years ago and it held up very well. I gave them a refresh with last month's valve adjustment but to be honest they looked pretty good. I will do the intake and horns if I ever remove them. This is what I used, but the color I used was "Satin Nickel".
    https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-24.../dp/B0016HLAGE

20200323_170902.jpg
    20200317_130221.jpg
    20200315_192504.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 04-12-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I used Rustoleum paint on my valve covers about 5 or 6 years ago and it held up very well. I gave them a refresh with last month's valve adjustment but to be honest they looked pretty good. I will do the intake and horns if I ever remove them. This is what I used, but the color I used was "Satin Nickel".
    https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-24.../dp/B0016HLAGE

20200323_170902.jpg
    20200317_130221.jpg
    20200315_192504.jpg
    I think this is the part number: RUST-OLEUM 249130 Universal All Surface Spray Paint, 11 oz, Metallic Satin Nickel

Is that correct Michael ?

Found the one I show: https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-24...s%2C180&sr=1-1
    Last edited by JETS 81 DMC; 04-12-2020 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Add info

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    I think this is the part number: RUST-OLEUM 249130 Universal All Surface Spray Paint, 11 oz, Metallic Satin Nickel

Is that correct Michael ?
    I will check tomorrow but that's just my choice. I didn't color match anything(I almost went with red). I just chose a color that I thought looked good without being a generic silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I will check tomorrow but that's just my choice. I didn't color match anything(I almost went with red). I just chose a color that I thought looked good without being a generic silver.
    The pictures you have posted of your valve covers looked really good and seem to be a close color match from what I could tell.

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    The pictures you have posted of your valve covers looked really good and seem to be a close color match from what I could tell.
    Thanks. I am 99% sure I used the color you mentioned amd FWIW I got it from Walmart so it's not super hard to find. In fact when I did my valve adjustment 6 years ago and last month, I walked into the same Walmart and found the same color I used before. It was about 7 bucks a can if I remember right. It does take some time to dry and harden (at least 3 or 4 hours on a hot day).

My VIN:    10309

I would never hijack a thread but I think we are on the topic of painting. I finally have bought a house with an enclosed garage so I am going to do more painting to the DeLorean. Thanks to Michael I will pick up some Rustoleum metallic satin silver from ACE hardware for engine parts and while I am there will pick up a couple of cans of Rustoleum flat black.
    Painting the engine compartment and the door jams and probably the engine cover. But the best part is I am using Dupli Color flat clear coat on top of that to make it last.
    I used it in the trunk and it looks great and makes the flat black durable and scratch resistant.
    Also have one more wheel to hand sand and paint with Eastwood argent silver and will clear coat with the same Dupli Color flat clear I used on the engine compartment side walls and door jams.
    Using a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun for $9.99 and my trusty 3 gallon compressor for $39.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Eastwood Alumablast.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    I would never hijack a thread but I think we are on the topic of painting. I finally have bought a house with an enclosed garage so I am going to do more painting to the DeLorean. Thanks to Michael I will pick up some Rustoleum metallic satin silver from ACE hardware for engine parts and while I am there will pick up a couple of cans of Rustoleum flat black.
    Painting the engine compartment and the door jams and probably the engine cover. But the best part is I am using Dupli Color flat clear coat on top of that to make it last.
    I used it in the trunk and it looks great and makes the flat black durable and scratch resistant.
    Also have one more wheel to hand sand and paint with Eastwood argent silver and will clear coat with the same Dupli Color flat clear I used on the engine compartment side walls and door jams.
    Using a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun for $9.99 and my trusty 3 gallon compressor for $39.
    Use SEM trim black for underbody and engine cover. Use SEM 1k clear to protect it. Get a can of flat clear or semi gloss clear depending on your taste.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast