FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 4728 Running Resto

My VIN:    6782

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Thanks! Yes, those are drain holes. I believe it's fairly common, I heard several guys mention it and I also got advice from Dave S.

For the frame separation, I have a total of six jack stands used: one each under all 4 lift points (on the underbody,) and two under the engine cradle. I put a floor jack under the front frame section and removed all but the two body bolts in the rear pontoons. When the front is lowered using the jack, it pivots on the rear. I only lowered the front 3cm, just enough to get at the areas I needed to clean & paint. I'm pretty sure it'll go lower, but I don't have anything else disconnected (that would/should be disconnected for a frame-off.)

*Important: my steering rack was out for rebuilding before I did this, and I'd also recommend further research before attempting; I like to live on the edge a bit, and I just "listened for noises" as I lowered the front. If I had the proper facilities, I would've gone the few extra steps and lifted the body off the rolling chassis just for easy working. My frame is pretty good, just had areas where a brake fluid leak peeled the epoxy (so I really didn't need a full frame-off & go on a search & destroy rust mission.)

Your closing plate looks great, was it in pretty bad shape before you restored it? What paint[s] did you use?
    Thanks! The plate was pretty pitted and nasty. I cleaned prepped and painted it all with Por-15 as well. I would like to replace it, but our Canadian dollar has to recover a lot before I can do any large parts orders.
    I keep finding more and more loose epoxy underneath all the grim as I clean. Probably just recoat and paint everything I can reach this winter. Planning to make it a good habit to go though everything while we are buried in the snow.
    By the way I just did a clean up on my steering rack as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Rich,

Looking good! For any areas that you don't need to paint, here's a tip for cleaning the frame epoxy that I learned by accident.
    Spray carburetor cleaner on a clean blue shop towel, and quickly wipe a small section. Don't rub just wipe in one direction. The epoxy will get sticky as you wipe, so wipe quickly. Then the epoxy will harden up again.
    Some stains (like below the brake master cylinder) will need more wipes.
    Don't use any other color paper towels, especially ones that have a print, as the ink from the print will transfer to the frame.
    Don't spray directly on the frame, or use it on areas that you painted. Use gloves.

That's how I cleaned my whole frame.

Thanks Dana,

I have a new can of carb cleaner and will try it this week. The epoxy [that would otherwise be in great shape] has a nasty yellowish-brown color...I'll let you know how it works!

Quote Originally Posted by D-guy View Post
    By the way I just did a clean up on my steering rack as well.
    Looks really good, did you just clean it, or is that a new paint job as well?

Looks really good, did you just clean it, or is that a new paint job as well?[/QUOTE]

It needed paint on the tube. And, I had boots and tie-rod ends that I'd bought a few seasons ago. Some oil was all it needed other than that. Thankfully it was pretty tight overall still.

Thanks Dana,

I have a new can of carb cleaner and will try it this week. The epoxy [that would otherwise be in great shape] has a nasty yellowish-brown color...I'll let you know how it works!
    I tried the carb cleaner, but it didn't do much. I noticed the can I have is "chlorinated," ....not sure what that means but maybe has something to do with not working well at cleaning the epoxy. I'm going to get a new can & try again!

It needed paint on the tube. And, I had boots and tie-rod ends that I'd bought a few seasons ago.
    What did you use for paint?

I didn't get much done this week; I mostly continued sanding & touch-ups w/POR-15, prepped for primer, and got the first topcoat on my closing plate:

IMG_0070.jpg

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hmm. That's odd. Here's what I used. $2 a can at Walmart. Spray a lot on the shop towel (almost to the point where it wants to drip), in a circle about the size of a silver dollar. It evaporates quickly, so you have to move fast to wipe after spraying. When the towel gets dirty, move to a clean area on the towel. I fold one towel section in half, and half again. Then you get a total of 8 clean squares per towel section.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Note: it cleans the epoxy just like it's new, but it will remove the glossy finish, and make it like a satin finish. If you want the shine back, you'll have to wax it. I like the satin finish so I didn't wax it. Something to consider as you'll have repainted areas that are glossy.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

What did you use for paint?
    Cleaned, scuffed and coated with black por15. Only cleaned the 'gearbox' section well.

Found plastikote federal grey (on the left) a better match to the frame color.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Another option- Recently did my plate with fast dry lacquer thinner (so not to break down epoxy much..leaves shinny) followed by touch up with "New Ford Grey".
    Frame6Talk..jpg
    Last edited by Ron; 01-25-2016 at 03:50 AM.

Found plastikote federal grey (on the left) a better match to the frame color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    "New Ford Grey".
    Great....two more colors [for use on the frame] that I didn't know about. Now I'm going to be second-guessing my choice!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Great....two more colors [for use on the frame] that I didn't know about. Now I'm going to be second-guessing my choice!
    Wow, they are close aren't they! I ended up using Rustoleum Gloss Smoke Gray. Here is the paint next to a cleaned frame. I had to touch up the outer end of the tow loop...

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I'm going to be painting some black parts, but don't really know the difference between semi-gloss, satin...etc. (I know what flat & gloss is....that's it.)

I'm looking for help with which parts get gloss, semi, satin....etc. I have advice from a few members, but it seems not everyone does the same thing. Most importantly, I need to know the difference between satin and semi-gloss.

Here's a few parts I can think of at the moment:

-Radiator support brackets
    -The brace in the engine compartment that has a body bolt on each end
    -LCA's
    -UCA's
    -Stabilizer bar/Sway bar (whatever it's called.)
    -Impact absorber (paging Rob)
    -Steering rack tube & tie-rods(Mark's are powder coated & look awesome, but I might paint mine.)

I am leaning toward black satin, is that the same as semi-gloss?

Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast