FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 4728 Running Resto

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by OZ DMC View Post
    This is an interesting and useful series of posts. Well done and thank you.
    Thanks!

Tonight I disassembled the axles. The CV boots aren't torn, but since I had the axles removed, I decided to proactively rebuild the CV joints. I'm also going to replace the bolts with socket-head cap screws.

I got a start on cleaning...I'll do little each night this week:

IMG_3671.jpg

My VIN:    2706

nice one of the many jobs I have left to do, on the back burner so to speak lol. This is one of those jobs that intimidate people, but there is really nothing to it. One of those adult legos things lol, take it apart...clean it...lube it ..re assemble lol. The only hard part is putting the clamps back on the boots, which I finally sprung for the right tool a couple years ago when working on my wife's mini.

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    nice one of the many jobs I have left to do, on the back burner so to speak lol. This is one of those jobs that intimidate people, but there is really nothing to it. One of those adult legos things lol, take it apart...clean it...lube it ..re assemble lol. The only hard part is putting the clamps back on the boots, which I finally sprung for the right tool a couple years ago when working on my wife's mini.
    These days, the kits come with "zip-ties." Not nearly as sexy as the clamps that need the crimp tool, but they are reported to be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    These days, the kits come with "zip-ties." Not nearly as sexy as the clamps that need the crimp tool, but they are reported to be reliable.
    They can be made a lot more reliable if you use the zip-tie gun.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Rich,

I am about to do this job myself. The old original boots were just starting to crack. I opted to add to my boot kit these stainless steel ties from Mouser:

Larger zip tie

Smaller zip tie

I also got a tube of Mobil 1 synthetic grease from a local auto parts store as a further upgrade.

This job is next for me after the exhaust, so thanks for sharing your experience.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3937

Lookin' good, Rich! You've done a real nice job with that.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I opted to add to my boot kit these stainless steel ties from Mouser:
    These are available at Home Depot (and probably other hardware stores) too for slightly less:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...=stainless+zip

They cut easily with tin snips
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Hi Rich,

I am about to do this job myself. The old original boots were just starting to crack. I opted to add to my boot kit these stainless steel ties from Mouser:

Larger zip tie

Smaller zip tie

I also got a tube of Mobil 1 synthetic grease from a local auto parts store as a further upgrade.

This job is next for me after the exhaust, so thanks for sharing your experience.

I'll take some extra pics...let me know if there's anything specific you'd like. Also, there's a write-up on the job that's pretty good.

One think I would like to have done: Put the car on stands, run it while in gear, and use sandpaper on the axles while the spin (to prep for painting.)

My VIN:    03572

Hi Rich,

Larger zip tie

Smaller zip tie

I place orders from Mouser 20 to 30 times a year. Never would have thought to look for those clamps from them.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    These are available at Home Depot (and probably other hardware stores) too for slightly less:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...=stainless+zip

They cut easily with tin snips
    Cool. I had seen and bought them at O'Reilly's in my travels, but those ones were too narrow. Never thought to look at Home Depot - thanks Luke. I was looking for two different sizes that would match the grooves in the boot. Mouser had them, and I was already ordering dash bulbs for my Maggie.

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I place orders from Mouser 20 to 30 times a year. Never would have thought to look for those clamps from them.
    Love Mouser! It saved me $300 in one shot on a current limiter that blew in my pool chlorine generator logic board. $300 for a new board, or $6.00 for the exact limiter that a lightning strike melted. I just saved $200 on my Magnum avoiding purchasing a new HVAC control module that had the non-replaceable bulbs burned in it. $2 in miniature bulbs and a great post of instructions on the LX forum and now I can see it in the dark again.

I'll take some extra pics...let me know if there's anything specific you'd like. Also, there's a write-up on the job that's pretty good.

One think I would like to have done: Put the car on stands, run it while in gear, and use sandpaper on the axles while the spin (to prep for painting.)
    Great, thanks Rich! I'll look for the write up. Maybe any new learnings or photos in addition to the existing instructions. I did notice the lines on the shaft and wondered how to preserve them. I may try to strip the rust off with acid, depending on how bad they are.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast