FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 4728 Running Resto

My VIN:    4519

I have my torsion bars and headliner out, and started cleaning the inside on my roofbox. I made a few videos of the roofbox interior...I'll work on posting them.

I'm glad I went to the DMA event where Marc Levy showed me the roofbox separation on my car. When I had one torsion bar removed, it really lifted and was super obvious.

What else should I do while I'm in there with the torsion bars removed?

I don't want to reassemble everything & find out later I should've changed/sealed/painted/rewired something. I seem to have a real talent for "going back in" after I have things reassembled.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I started to work on my non-functioning wipers today. The fuse was blown, so I replaced it and tried the wipers.

Not 100% certain, but I think I heard a clicking noise in the column....now my horn and hazard lights don't work (as well as the wipers.)

Both fuses are still good, and the connections to the wiper control module on the column appear to be good.

I'll review the wiring schematic and continue diagnosing, but also interested in troubleshooting tips.

Thanks!

I think you mentioned that you didn't have power at the control switch. Check the other plugs/junctions you can get to to narrow it down.

WM-Plugs1.jpg

Interior roofbox inspection prior to cleaning:

Finished cleaning out the roof box, and drilled out the rivet heads to remove the roof seals.
    I read a few posts about the worries of drilling the rivets. My method was to use a drill bit 2x the size of the head. I held pressure toward the drill with a flat bar behind he seal retainer. I drilled only enough needed to "pop" the retaining strip over the drilled head. Notice some of the head is still on the rivet.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Notice some of the head is still on the rivet.k
    Now take a Dremel cutoff wheel and cut the rest of the rivets off flush with the stainless. The remaining parts will rattle around in the door for a while.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Now take a Dremel cutoff wheel and cut the rest of the rivets off flush with the stainless. The remaining parts will rattle around in the door for a while.
    Thanks Dave, if I'm feeling up to another door headliner removal I might try to slide a piece of tape behind the rivets before cutting them off.

How about the black RTV in that area? I want to clean, paint, reseal...etc. I'd like to "redo" the RTV application, is it just black RTV...nothing special?
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 07-23-2019 at 10:58 PM.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Love those colonial era struts..they can double as a bridge
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'd like to "redo" the RTV application, is it just black RTV...nothing special?
    Black RTV is fine. Windshield Urethane if you are a glutton for punishment.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    2706

Looking good man. Very rewarding job once everything is resealed and painted it looks great

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    Looking good man. Very rewarding job once everything is resealed and painted it looks great
    Thanks, tonight I used the spray you gave me....I'm going to make a video after it dries. I'm really liking these small projects that don't keep the car off the road for a long time, I should have this completed on Saturday.

But, things sure do snowball with "while you're in there" stuff. I went from: securing the roofbox, to: replacing the roof seals, the outer seals, cleaning & painting, replacing dome lights, and now the windshield trim -lol

Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast