FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46

Thread: VIN 4728 Running Resto

My VIN:    Formerly 10372, currently 4728 & 4519

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I think you sent me a set of allen head bolts as well since you had extra during your rebuild. I haven't gotten around to installing them...

In general, split lock washers do almost nothing to prevent fasteners from loosening up so I wouldn't bother with those. In this case I'd probably go with some blue loctite instead.

If I'm remembering correctly the allen head bolts were phosphate and oil coated which may have contributed the the bolts loosening up. Before you reinstall them you could hit them with a shot of brake parts cleaner to remove the oil. If you don't want them to rust over you can spray just the heads with some matte finish black paint to keep them looking nice.

Thanks Mark, I totally forgot I sent those...lol.

I think you're right on with that assessment, I'm going back in for a "do-over" soon.
    Livin' the dream....

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    In general, split lock washers do almost nothing to prevent fasteners from loosening up so I wouldn't bother with those. In this case I'd probably go with some blue loctite instead.
    +1 on the Loctite

Actually, split lock washers don't act like flat washers. Flat washers are used to evenly distribute the tightening force (usually over an area greater than the nut or bolt head)...or for spacing. Split lock washers are used to create tension to prevent loosening due to vibrations. Note they spiral in the opposite direction of the threads for a better bite to prevent turning too. (Toothed lock washers are all about the bite...)
    Make sure you use washers of the same grade as the nut/bolt. OEM

=======

Rich needs to quit re-engineering and concentrate his Dwi Huryeo Chagi or
    burning the roads up.

Do you guys hear some kind of echo in here?

My VIN:    03572

I wonder if that is purpose of the metal plates. Maybe they are a softer material so the split lock washer can bit into it. I did see when I removed mine the plates did have the bite of the lock washer so I flipped them over when I installed the new bolts.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yes. I mentioned that on the other site when Rich mentioned it. Sometimes they are used to distribute the tightening force over a greater area (and convenience over several flat washers etc.), but mostly where the other metal is too soft OR to hard. They want them to bite, in the opposite direction of the threads....

My VIN:    Formerly 10372, currently 4728 & 4519

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ~snip~

Rich needs to quit re-engineering and concentrate his Dwi Huryeo Chagi or [/COLOR]burning the roads up.

Do you guys hear some kind of echo in here?
    I just got back from burnin' up some roads.

I went for a test drive tonight after installing anti-vibration Borgeson joints.

I'm downloading my dash cam videos now; just as I got to my street, a fox pup ran out in front of me. It's about the size of a rabbit.
    Livin' the dream....

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46