FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 4728 Running Resto

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Do you still have the exhaust manifolds removed? You may be able to rotate the engine by hand to open the exhaust valve in the cylinder you're interested in and peek in with the camera that way.
    Yes, still removed. Last night I looked in there with the camera just for fun, but didn't think to try this...thanks!

Frame prep

Today I continued prepping my frame. I used a wire wheel, flap wheel, sander, and phosphoric acid.

100_4784.jpg 100_4794.jpg 100_4796.jpg

I also did a "partial frame-off" to access the area of the frame rail I haven't been able to reach (where the A/C hoses are.)

-I kept jack stands at all 4 lift points.
    -Added jack stands to the frame in the rear (at the engine cradle.)
    -Supported the front of the frame with a jack.
    -Removed all but the 4 rearmost body bolts.
    -Slowly lowered the front of the frame a few inches.

The gap between the underbody & frame rail opened just enough so I could clean out the peeled epoxy. I wasn't able to feather the edge of the good epoxy, but I'll be able to do a good job coating it w/POR-15 and a topcoat. I didn't get any pics while it was separated, but I'll be doing it again when I paint and will get some pics then.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 11-21-2015 at 06:01 PM.

My VIN:    3937

Rich,

If there were actually a screw or something similar down inside one of the cylinders, don't you think it would have a much more violent and engine destroying impact than a ticking or knocking sound?

I just mean with that cylinder head going up and down 1,000 times per minute or more, regardless of whether that screw or piece of something was above or below, I'd expect it to do some serious damage to an engine and not just something you can hear.

I'm trying to say that even if you don't get the camera down in there to look, I would find it hard to believe there is something substantial like that in there causing you problems.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Rich,

If there were actually a screw or something similar down inside one of the cylinders, don't you think it would have a much more violent and engine destroying impact than a ticking or knocking sound?

I just mean with that cylinder head going up and down 1,000 times per minute or more, regardless of whether that screw or piece of something was above or below, I'd expect it to do some serious damage to an engine and not just something you can hear.

I'm trying to say that even if you don't get the camera down in there to look, I would find it hard to believe there is something substantial like that in there causing you problems.
    I agree, and said the same thing to my Dad (experienced mechanic) who told me it would depend on exactly where the foreign object would be, and that it could get embedded in the face of the piston. He also mentioned something called "carbon knock" that he has seen in the past, and that it causes a noise similar to what I have.

I wasn't expecting to see much, but since I was able to get a camera, I figured: "why not?"

My VIN:    03572

Carbon build up was a big problem back with leaded gas. Not so much these days.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Got one of them out with a double-nut, the other is being stubborn. I heated it a little, then sprayed it while hot...gonna let it soak.

If it gives any further resistance, I'll get an extractor.
    Whew...got it today.

I welded a nut on the end of the stud(thanks Ron,) but it still wouldn't budge. Also, I could feel it "flexing" so I added vice-grips to it. Still no-go, so I sprayed & tapped on it with a hammer a while, then held an ice cube on it (laugh if you must -lol.) After working "back & forth" I finally felt it move a bit. Repeatedly spraying, working, icing seemed to be the winning combo.

Victory!

100_4805.jpg

My VIN:    03572

You can buy a can of freeze spray. I used that stuff for finding intermittent in electronics troubleshooting. Basically all that can does is pump liquid R134 out of the nozzle.

http://www.dalco.com/p-2506-max-pro-...FckYHwodYr4FQw
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You can buy a can of freeze spray. I used that stuff for finding intermittent in electronics troubleshooting. Basically all that can does is pump liquid R134 out of the nozzle.

http://www.dalco.com/p-2506-max-pro-...FckYHwodYr4FQw
    Thanks Dave. Andrew mentioned it last week, that's what made me think if the ice cube -haha! I thought I had a can of Dust-Off I was going to try, but didn't find it so I went old-school with the ice -lol!

I should probably keep a can of that freeze spray on hand, might be useful for the Y-Pipe bolts.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Things like that are why I'll leave heavy engine work to guys at DMCNW....hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Things like that are why I'll leave heavy engine work to guys at DMCNW....hehe.
    Roger that!

My first car needed exhaust manifold gaskets so I brought it to a nearby import shop (I think 6-8 studs snapped on that job.)

I decided to do this one myself since the car would be on stands (and partially disassembled) in my garage all Winter, and I want to get the exhaust noise fixed before continuing to diagnose a noise that has been a bit tricky.

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast