FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: Which clear lens variants are you interested in?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Front turn signals (recessed in fascia)

12 63.16%
  • Front turn signals (flush with bumper)

6 31.58%
  • Side markers

11 57.89%
  • Door lights (lenses only -- see below for details)

3 15.79%
  • Taillights (one column of amber light)

5 26.32%
  • Taillights (two columns of amber light, at extra cost)

2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Clear Lenses for Exterior Lights (Interest Thread)

My VIN:    2193

Smokey grey

I think smokey grey is a great idea.

I'll have to source the filament for smokey grey. Actually not a bad idea either, but I'm curious if the LED's will look good through them. I know you're not supposed to mix and match colors of LED bulbs and lenses, but I'm not sure if that applies here. Anyone with electrical expertise and/or a working example have any insight on this?

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Shep, gray is not really a color so this is not going to be a problem. It is different colors that don't work with LEDs as they are monochromatic, meaning that they only emit light in one color. With gray you'll only loose some intensity of the light and how much will depend on how dark the lens is going to be. In other words, gray lens doesn't filter any specific color, it filters all colors equally.
    If you try to shine a red LED through a blue lens you'll get no light coming out because the LED only emits red light and the lens only allows blue light to pass through. Since there is no blue light in a red LED you get nothing out. Simple
    A gray lens will work as long as you don't make it too dark.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

Perfect, thanks Tom! That's what I was thinking, but didn't want to make any promises I couldn't deliver on. So it looks like grey lenses will be another option besides clear.

Just to be, er, clear (pardon the pun), since these will be 3D printed on the fly, I could theoretically print any of the housings I'll be selling in smokey grey, including fronts and rears. Will see if I can source some filament for this.

Another update: RigidBot forgot a part bag in my kit (just a couple oddly-shaped nuts), so until I get them in, I won't be able to print the parts with it. Already contacted them regarding the situation. Good news is that everything else is included as far as I can tell, so it's 99% complete. Quite impressed with the quality of the parts compared to my two (failed) RepRaps. Very well engineered so far. Even came with a fold-up cover with their name and logo embroidered on it.

That being said, my M3D Micro arrived, and is... er... micro. I was expecting something about a cubic foot in size. This sucker is tiny and adorable! Only about 6" in all three dimensions. D'awwww! Ran some tests with it, everything seems to function fine at this point. Really, really digging the quality of the parts. Seems mass-market ready. Anyways, will start utilizing it to print the scanner and make progress that way. Hopefully by the time that's done, the RigidBot nuts will come in and we'll be smooth sailing from there.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I know it's been almost 4 years but any progress?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2